MacAfee or Windows firewall?

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 23, 2005 5:10:27 PM

on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?

I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:10:28 PM

It's not a matter of Windows Firewall vs. McAfee's product. Windows Firewall
was not designed to alert you when your computer attempts to connect to the
Internet. Just about any third-party firewall has that functionality.
Windows Firewall provides adequate protection for users who do not have a
third party firewall. However, just about any third party firewall has more
functionality than Windows Firewall. To choose between McAfee's product and
other third party firewalls, read the reviews at the major Internet sites
like PC World, PC Magazine or CNet.

Ted Zieglar

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
> on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
>
> I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:10:28 PM

Why not stick with Kerio? Good product.

Nate <none@none.none> wrote:

>on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
>
>I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.

comp.security.firewalls is the place to go. In and amongst the
paeans/debunks posted by the monomaniacally rabid fans/detractors
that every firewall program attracts, you can find enough info
from sane posters to give you a good idea of which firewall
program will best meet the specific needs you have for one.
--
OJ III
February 23, 2005 5:18:36 PM

NOT the Windows firewall. Anything but. McAfee, Norton and ZoneAlarm all work
at least passably well and monitor OUTGOING internet access, something the lame
Windows firewall cannot do. I prefer ZoneAlarm... Ben Myers

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:10:27 GMT, Nate <none@none.none> wrote:

>on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
>
>I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:40:30 PM

"Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
| on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
|
| I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.

FWIW I went with McAfee on my newest Dell because I've sworn off
Symantec/Norton products and it was "the other" choice. The firewall seems
to be functioning adequately. Once the AV subscription runs out I'll
uninstall the whole package and go with one of the free alternatives.

Using Kerio and a free year of CA EZ Trust on my Inspiron and they get along
well.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:40:31 PM

FWIW, I'm loyal to Zone Alarm. To be fair, the only other firewall I've ever
tried is Norton Personal Firewall, and that was during it's first year. I
was happy with Zone Alarm from day one, and it's always been favorably
reviewed. I eventually graduated from Zone Alarm to Zone Alarm Pro, and more
recently to Zone Alarm Security Suite, losing Norton AntiVirus along the
way. (And that was no loss, in my opinion.)

But if I were you, I would take the advice of the experts who review these
products over some crackpot in a newsgroup.

Ted 'Crackpot' Zieglar

news:o t1Td.6045$Sa6.1593@fe2.columbus.rr.com...

!