MacAfee or Windows firewall?

on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?

I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.
6 answers Last reply
More about macafee windows firewall

    It's not a matter of Windows Firewall vs. McAfee's product. Windows Firewall
    was not designed to alert you when your computer attempts to connect to the
    Internet. Just about any third-party firewall has that functionality.
    Windows Firewall provides adequate protection for users who do not have a
    third party firewall. However, just about any third party firewall has more
    functionality than Windows Firewall. To choose between McAfee's product and
    other third party firewalls, read the reviews at the major Internet sites
    like PC World, PC Magazine or CNet.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
    > on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
    >
    > I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.

    Why not stick with Kerio? Good product.

    Nate <none@none.none> wrote:

    >on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
    >
    >I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.

    comp.security.firewalls is the place to go. In and amongst the
    paeans/debunks posted by the monomaniacally rabid fans/detractors
    that every firewall program attracts, you can find enough info
    from sane posters to give you a good idea of which firewall
    program will best meet the specific needs you have for one.
    --
    OJ III

    NOT the Windows firewall. Anything but. McAfee, Norton and ZoneAlarm all work
    at least passably well and monitor OUTGOING internet access, something the lame
    Windows firewall cannot do. I prefer ZoneAlarm... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:10:27 GMT, Nate <none@none.none> wrote:

    >on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
    >
    >I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.

    "Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
    | on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
    |
    | I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.

    FWIW I went with McAfee on my newest Dell because I've sworn off
    Symantec/Norton products and it was "the other" choice. The firewall seems
    to be functioning adequately. Once the AV subscription runs out I'll
    uninstall the whole package and go with one of the free alternatives.

    Using Kerio and a free year of CA EZ Trust on my Inspiron and they get along
    well.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    FWIW, I'm loyal to Zone Alarm. To be fair, the only other firewall I've ever
    tried is Norton Personal Firewall, and that was during it's first year. I
    was happy with Zone Alarm from day one, and it's always been favorably
    reviewed. I eventually graduated from Zone Alarm to Zone Alarm Pro, and more
    recently to Zone Alarm Security Suite, losing Norton AntiVirus along the
    way. (And that was no loss, in my opinion.)

    But if I were you, I would take the advice of the experts who review these
    products over some crackpot in a newsgroup.

    Ted 'Crackpot' Zieglar

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Nate" <none@none.none> wrote in message
    > | on a brand new Dell, which firewall to use?
    > |
    > | I was previously using Kerio, which worked without a hitch.
    >
    > FWIW I went with McAfee on my newest Dell because I've sworn off
    > Symantec/Norton products and it was "the other" choice. The firewall seems
    > to be functioning adequately. Once the AV subscription runs out I'll
    > uninstall the whole package and go with one of the free alternatives.
    >
    > Using Kerio and a free year of CA EZ Trust on my Inspiron and they get
    along
    > well.

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)