cd-r will record music and pics but not data

The cd-r works fine when murning music cd's or making picture files but will
not record data. I am trying to save drivers, which I have downloaded from
legit internet sources onto my hard drive for use on another computer. I
either get the "disc not accessible" dialog box or the cd-r just churns
endlessly with no results. I have used several different brands of CD-r's.

I am using Windows XP Home Edtion, SP2.

The device manager tells me the cd-r is working properly and that the best
drivers for the unit are installed.

Are the drivers in a compressed file?
Try unzipping them to another folder first.

"Richard Goh" wrote:

> Are the drivers in a compressed file?
> Try unzipping them to another folder first.
>
> "victoryswing" <victoryswing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The cd-r works fine when murning music cd's or making picture files but
> > will
> > not record data. I am trying to save drivers, which I have downloaded
> > from
> > legit internet sources onto my hard drive for use on another computer. I
> > either get the "disc not accessible" dialog box or the cd-r just churns
> > endlessly with no results. I have used several different brands of
> > CD-r's.
> >
> > I am using Windows XP Home Edtion, SP2.
> >
> > The device manager tells me the cd-r is working properly and that the best
> > drivers for the unit are installed.
>

> The files are not zipped. I cannot copy any data files to cd.

"victoryswing" wrote:
The files are not zipped. I cannot copy any data files to cd. All I get is
"Incorrect Function"

> "Richard Goh" wrote:
>
> > Are the drivers in a compressed file?
> > Try unzipping them to another folder first.
> >
> > "victoryswing" <victoryswing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > The cd-r works fine when murning music cd's or making picture files but
> > > will
> > > not record data. I am trying to save drivers, which I have downloaded
> > > from
> > > legit internet sources onto my hard drive for use on another computer. I
> > > either get the "disc not accessible" dialog box or the cd-r just churns
> > > endlessly with no results. I have used several different brands of
> > > CD-r's.
> > >
> > > I am using Windows XP Home Edtion, SP2.
> > >
> > > The device manager tells me the cd-r is working properly and that the best
> > > drivers for the unit are installed.
> >

> > The files are not zipped. I cannot copy any data files to cd.

The CD-RW recording feature that is built in to the Windows XP shell does not
support the creation of an International Standards Organization (ISO) image.
To create an ISO image in Windows XP, you need to install a third party
utility that supports this feature.

An ISO image file is a snapshot of the data and layout of a CD, saved in
ISO-9660 format. ISO image files are widely used for storing CD content. ISO
is a common CD image format for DOS, Windows (Joliet ISO extension), Linux
(RockRidge ISO extension), and other operating systems.
--
---------------------------------------
http://www.fast-rewind.com

"victoryswing" wrote:

> The cd-r works fine when murning music cd's or making picture files but will
> not record data. I am trying to save drivers, which I have downloaded from
> legit internet sources onto my hard drive for use on another computer. I
> either get the "disc not accessible" dialog box or the cd-r just churns
> endlessly with no results. I have used several different brands of CD-r's.
>
> I am using Windows XP Home Edtion, SP2.
>
> The device manager tells me the cd-r is working properly and that the best
> drivers for the unit are installed.

Thanks all for your input. The problem was solved, temporarily at least by
acquiring a collection of CDR 3paks and test ing all. Two brands and types
out of five worked.
FYI - Maxell 70 min all purpose - could do nothing.
Maxell 80 minute music- records data, pics and music
Memorex 80 minute music - records music and pics only
Fuji all purpose 80 minute - records all
Sony CD- R/W 74 min. - music and pics only.

The recording unit is a Toshiba DVE R/RW, using built in XP drivers.

Roger