Laptop Won't Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeven

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi everybody!

I am trying to fix one of my laptops. It won't boot, but I don't think the issue is the operating system. When you start it up normally, it gives a giant cursor (reduced screen resolution) over a black screen. It does not load the desktop, taskbar, or anything else, just a black screen.

I thought the operating system was borked so I loaded a rescuedvd v8, followed by loading a linux boot disk (ubuntu).

Ubuntu loaded fine, but I could not mount the hard drive. When I tried to load a version of boot windows, off of rescuedvd v8, I got the blue screen of death.

I think it is very clear that the hard drive is borked.

What should I do next to recover the data?

daship

Distinguished
Indeed it does sound like a borked hard drive. Theres nothing you can do besides pay a pro service $1000s to get your data maybe with no gaurantee. When you get going again learn to make backups of important things.

I use dropbox as a backup in conjunction with sync toy. When ever I change something in my must haves folder I run synctoy and it automatically syncs to my dropbox and my seperate hard drive. I always have 3 copys of what is important to me. I could loose 2 in a fire but the dropbox will always be safe.

aeven

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi daship,

Thanks for the tip. I have never used sync toy but I will definitely try that. When I said "my laptop", it was a bit of a fibb. It's actually my girlfriends laptop. Of course, it only has one partition on the hard drive.

On my desktop I use raid and dropbox... and on my laptop... well its more for showing client stuff so I don't put anything on there that isn't in my dropbox anyway. I agree, pre-emptive striking when it comes to data protection is the best way to go (as I have had many hard drives fail on me in the past).

So you don't think that there are any boot tools that might have the off chance of recovering anything?

aeven

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Like I was mentioning to daship, it was actually my girlfriends laptop. Who knows, she takes it everywhere with her in a backpack so its likely it experienced some trauma, lol.

Do laptop hard drives experience head crashes when they are on and you are moving them like desktop computers do?

aeven

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks daship, you're a gentleman and a scholar. I don't like the answer to my question, but hey... what can you do >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.