I Need a set of Galaga RAM chips - or maybe i don't.

my galaga board works, but the graphics are screwy on all characters
and numbers. the ship has those brighter vertical lines in it, so it
loses the detail of the character. the enemies are also blurry,
splotchy and have the same brighter vertical lines in them. i believe i
need a new set of RAM chips. i am a real novice, anyone have a set for
sale with some instructions for a rookie board repairer like me? Harry
in MTL.

no offense taken - i have no experience with these types of repairs. i
did not realize that they were soldered chips - that makes me
completely agree with your suggestion to have them sent out for repair.
i think i will call my friend mike haalland in LV. H

6116 RAM I believe and this is available from a
# of sources, including Bob Roberts.

Scott C.

Harry in Montreal wrote:
> my galaga board works, but the graphics are screwy on all characters
> and numbers. the ship has those brighter vertical lines in it, so it
> loses the detail of the character. the enemies are also blurry,
> splotchy and have the same brighter vertical lines in them. i believe i
> need a new set of RAM chips. i am a real novice, anyone have a set for
> sale with some instructions for a rookie board repairer like me? Harry
> in MTL.

No offense intended -- if you're not sure what you're doing, it would be
best to send the board out for repair. _Galaga_ is valuable enough without
having to repair damage caused by inexperience.

The problem is likely caused by a bad 2147 RAM. There are eight of these on
the video board. But Midway did something right with these boards: they
give you the option of using either a bank of eight 2147 RAMs, or two 2148
RAMs. These are not socketed, so you'll have to desolder them -- and that's
where it gets tricky if you haven't done it before.

"Harry in Montreal" <mustang4_6@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
> no offense taken - i have no experience with these types of repairs. i
> did not realize that they were soldered chips - that makes me
> completely agree with your suggestion to have them sent out for repair.
> i think i will call my friend mike haalland in LV. H

Yeah, Mike's a good guy and he does great work! I buy parts from him
frequently.

I just thought of something else that may be easier to try -- there's a slim
chance that your graphics problem could be caused by a flaky 2114 RAM on the
video board. Rare, but it does happen. On most _Galaga_ boards, these
eight 2114 RAM chips are socketed and are therefore easily removable. Label
each one of those chips before removing them so you'll know where they went
originally. RAM chips are interchangable, so you can swap them around with
each other. If the graphics problem changes after you've done this, then
you know that the problem is somehow related to the 2114's, and you can try
a new batch. But if the graphics problem doesn't change, then you know they
are not the problem and you're not out anything.

HTH,

Matt J. McCullar