Wait for PCI Express

walshi

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Hi all! New member here.
Anywho, I'm about to spend far too much money on a new system with FX53, probably x800xt, etc etc. However my concern is whether to hang on for PCI Express? I'm in the UK and it doesn't appear to be available yet. What benefits would PCI Express hold for me? And does anyone know how long the wait will be?
Thanks!

If you a re building long term PCI-EX is a good choice, however short-term it doesn't offer much benifit except for in proffesional applications. If you plan on upgrading again within a year or so, then stick with AGP for things will likely be cheaper and more available on that platform. I'm going PCI-EX (hopefully WITH AGP) just to try out the new soket, and also because I hate additional molex connectors etc.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
do you think there are going to be many AGP + PCI-EX boards available?

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

I'm not really sure. VIA has their Prescott solution through Gigabyte, and if they develop an AMD64-939 version I'd be a buyer {I like Gigabyte, and have had no bad experience wit VIA [unlike others here]). Even nV's PCI-EX 16X + PCI-EX 8X solution might be intriguing although not as precticle.

Of course DDR + DDR2 is also a nice feature.

Expect to see more solutions around the end of the summer, the prescott's implosion appears to have slowed things somewhat.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: