HP or Asus which should i get?

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012

My first "real" computer (that actually had a Windows OS, not DOS lol) was a Compaq and it did well...14 years ago :pt1cable:

Today I work with HP servers and they do pretty well, but I wouldnt buy one of their desktop or laptops imo.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Absolutely, before HP bought Compaq, Compaq had some of the best engineered, most over-built desktops on the market. Then they slid down the hill...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Whether or not that CPU is a good one depends on your intended usage. That CPU is geared toward mass-market multi-media scenarios. So if you do a little bit of gaming, movies, music, browsing, office work, scientific computing, etc then it will be fine. If you start to specialize in any of that, as in pro-gaming, music production, encoding movies, or video editing, etc, then that's not a good processor.

It is a very general purpose, generic entertainment type of processor.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

They are acceptable, but DIY or parts then assembled by the user are far better. I have seen a few ASUS desktops with bad bundled PSUs, and "le" edition motherboards with fewer features and upgrade-abilities.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The thicker the laptop is, the more likely this is. For thinner laptops (one inch or less) the CPU socket is usually omitted to reduce height. In that case, the CPUs are actually soldered to the motherboard. The physical package of the CPUs that are soldered are Ball Grid Arrays (BGA) where as the CPUs that are socketed have pins and are Pin Grid Arrays (PGA).

gen7

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

This CPU scores very highly relative to other laptops of the same price range (4198):
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+A8-4500M+APU

Many mid-range performance laptop CPUs will score anywhere from 1400 to just over 2000, but it is rare to find a CPU with this performance for $549 laptop.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Sure, but remember that Passmark is best used comparing within a given architecture. For example, Bulldozer 8120 generally outscores an i5 2500k by a good margin, but we all know from specific benchmarks that the i5 is much faster in games and a lot of usage scenarios.

Even though the APU scores about the same as a desktop i3 2120, you can't draw the conclusion that it will be good at everything, it largely depends on your target usage.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You will not be able to easily. Brand name boxes (desktop and laptop) USUALLY do not include overclocking options in the BIOS. So you'll have to go software, if AT ALL, and it is notoriously unstable and very risky on a laptop due to the limited power circuitries and heatsinks.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Most laptops have only ONE right and ONE left button beneath the trackpad. The ASUS has that type of layout with a clicker on the left and a clicker on the right. I think it has a design similar to the Lenovo trackpads with a continuous trackpad that extends to the buttons with a small divide between the buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.