Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HP or Asus which should i get?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 6:36:39 PM

ASUS>>>>>>HP.

HP is ranked bottom in North America for # of repairs per laptop.

ASUS is ranked near the top, with Lenovo and Apple.

Last time I read the stats...
Score
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 6:36:46 PM

ASUS also has 1st year accidental damage (of any type) warranty, and 2nd year regular warranty.

HP is loathed by relatives who used to work for them.
Score
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 6:44:23 PM

i'd push for asus, i kinda despise my old hp laptop.
Score
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 6:45:40 PM

dudewitbow said:
i'd push for asus, i kinda despise my old hp laptop.

Lol, yet another of the same. I haven't heard of anyone who owned an HP/Compaq who DIDN'T despise it after getting a more reliable model/brand.
Score
July 23, 2012 6:47:45 PM

is the processor AMD A8 4500M a good one? is that a dual or quad core?
Score
July 23, 2012 6:49:44 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Lol, yet another of the same. I haven't heard of anyone who owned an HP/Compaq who DIDN'T despise it after getting a more reliable model/brand.

My first "real" computer (that actually had a Windows OS, not DOS lol) was a Compaq and it did well...14 years ago :pt1cable: 

Today I work with HP servers and they do pretty well, but I wouldnt buy one of their desktop or laptops imo.
Score
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 6:51:34 PM

spartanmk2 said:
My first "real" computer (that actually had a Windows OS, not DOS lol) was a Compaq and it did well...14 years ago :pt1cable: 

Absolutely, before HP bought Compaq, Compaq had some of the best engineered, most over-built desktops on the market. Then they slid down the hill...
Score
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 6:53:13 PM

la321 said:
is the processor AMD A8 4500M a good one? is that a dual or quad core?

Whether or not that CPU is a good one depends on your intended usage. That CPU is geared toward mass-market multi-media scenarios. So if you do a little bit of gaming, movies, music, browsing, office work, scientific computing, etc then it will be fine. If you start to specialize in any of that, as in pro-gaming, music production, encoding movies, or video editing, etc, then that's not a good processor.

It is a very general purpose, generic entertainment type of processor.
Score
July 23, 2012 7:17:45 PM

thanks on the laptop i won't be doing all of that and does anyone know how i can find out how much l2 cache the asus K55N-RIN4 have?
Score
July 23, 2012 7:40:01 PM

so it's a quad core and 4mb l2 cache thank you all
Score
July 29, 2012 12:50:04 AM

Does asus make good desktops?
Score
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2012 1:42:15 PM

la321 said:
Does asus make good desktops?

They are acceptable, but DIY or parts then assembled by the user are far better. I have seen a few ASUS desktops with bad bundled PSUs, and "le" edition motherboards with fewer features and upgrade-abilities.
Score
August 5, 2012 2:08:24 AM

Can a processor be changed in a laptop?
Score
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2012 2:25:00 AM

la321 said:

only on select motherboards and only a select amount of cpus are possible in this feat.
Score
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2012 2:17:27 PM

la321 said:

The thicker the laptop is, the more likely this is. For thinner laptops (one inch or less) the CPU socket is usually omitted to reduce height. In that case, the CPUs are actually soldered to the motherboard. The physical package of the CPUs that are soldered are Ball Grid Arrays (BGA) where as the CPUs that are socketed have pins and are Pin Grid Arrays (PGA).
Score
August 5, 2012 9:35:56 PM

Are the intel i3, i5 and i7 quad core processors?
Score
a b D Laptop
August 5, 2012 9:44:31 PM

i3s, are dual core, i5s are usually dual core unless specified on laptops. i7s are usually quad cores.
Score
August 30, 2012 3:29:04 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Whether or not that CPU is a good one depends on your intended usage. That CPU is geared toward mass-market multi-media scenarios. So if you do a little bit of gaming, movies, music, browsing, office work, scientific computing, etc then it will be fine. If you start to specialize in any of that, as in pro-gaming, music production, encoding movies, or video editing, etc, then that's not a good processor.

It is a very general purpose, generic entertainment type of processor.

This CPU scores very highly relative to other laptops of the same price range (4198):
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+A8-4...

Many mid-range performance laptop CPUs will score anywhere from 1400 to just over 2000, but it is rare to find a CPU with this performance for $549 laptop.
Score
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2012 6:01:21 PM

gen7 said:
This CPU scores very highly relative to other laptops of the same price range (4198):
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+A8-4...

Many mid-range performance laptop CPUs will score anywhere from 1400 to just over 2000, but it is rare to find a CPU with this performance for $549 laptop.

Sure, but remember that Passmark is best used comparing within a given architecture. For example, Bulldozer 8120 generally outscores an i5 2500k by a good margin, but we all know from specific benchmarks that the i5 is much faster in games and a lot of usage scenarios.

Even though the APU scores about the same as a desktop i3 2120, you can't draw the conclusion that it will be good at everything, it largely depends on your target usage.
Score
September 5, 2012 11:58:30 PM

when i get the laptop i'm thinking of overclocking the processor speed should i?
Score
a b D Laptop
September 6, 2012 12:57:06 AM

la321 said:
when i get the laptop i'm thinking of overclocking the processor speed should i?

You will not be able to easily. Brand name boxes (desktop and laptop) USUALLY do not include overclocking options in the BIOS. So you'll have to go software, if AT ALL, and it is notoriously unstable and very risky on a laptop due to the limited power circuitries and heatsinks.
Score
September 7, 2012 1:32:18 AM

does anyone know if this laptop has the two left and right buttons below the touchpad like most laptops have?
Score
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2012 2:32:37 PM

Most laptops have only ONE right and ONE left button beneath the trackpad. The ASUS has that type of layout with a clicker on the left and a clicker on the right. I think it has a design similar to the Lenovo trackpads with a continuous trackpad that extends to the buttons with a small divide between the buttons.
Score
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2012 7:31:12 PM

la321 said:
Are the intel i3, i5 and i7 quad core processors?

All mobile i3's and i5's are dual core only. i7's are dual core as well unless denoted by a "QM" at the end, so you need to be careful in what you are looking at.
Score
September 7, 2012 8:21:29 PM

Thanks everyone and I thought amd processors could be overclocked that's why I asked if this laptop could be overclocked or is 2.2 fast enough?
Score
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2012 8:30:56 PM

la321 said:
Thanks everyone and I thought amd processors could be overclocked that's why I asked if this laptop could be overclocked or is 2.2 fast enough?

Not in a laptop. Your chances to be able to overclock and chances of stable overclocking for significant gains are nearly non-existent in laptops, doesn't matter who makes the CPU. The only instances where I know you can overclock the CPU are in the desktop replacement (DTR) laptop category, but then they are hulking, huge and power hungry and meant to be used literally as desktops, but even in the DTRs, this is exceedingly rare.

2.2 is plenty if you only want to do simple things like browse the web, office like applications, HD videos, etc... It is not enough for anything thing else.

I'm not sure which computer you are looking at with a 2.2ghz processor. Is it an Intel or AMD ? Your original laptop choices included a A6-4455m which is an Ultra Low Voltage processor with low power consumption meant for ultrabooks or the like. The performance (CPU+Graphics) on that ULV processor is very low. The A8-4500m is nearly twice as fast in CPU+GPU applications (games). But none of them are clocked exactly at 2.2ghz...

If it is an Intel i7 with 2.2ghz, then that's plenty, due to far better IPC and turbo.
Score
September 7, 2012 8:38:36 PM

Maxx_Power said:
ASUS>>>>>>HP.

HP is ranked bottom in North America for # of repairs per laptop.

ASUS is ranked near the top, with Lenovo and Apple.

Last time I read the stats...

Being the #1 manufacturer of computers in the world I think they would have the most repairs.

When I worked at a repair facility for best buy, HP always had the biggest department because they had the most repairs because, you guessed it they had the most laptops.

If gateway or toshiba or any brand for that matter sold the same amount of laptops, theyd be ranked bottom too.
Score
September 7, 2012 9:00:20 PM

I posted the link to the laptop I'm getting when I first made the thread
Score
a b D Laptop
September 7, 2012 9:35:44 PM

la321 said:
I posted the link to the laptop I'm getting when I first made the thread

That's what I mean. By your links, NONE of the laptop processors run at 2.2 ghz. It is very unclear to me what you meant by 2.2 ghz being sufficient.
Score
September 8, 2012 12:42:28 AM

i don't know the cpu speed then until i get it unless it's 2.8
Score
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2012 1:01:46 AM

la321 said:
i don't know the cpu speed then until i get it unless it's 2.8

The A8 4500m has the following speeds:

Default: 1.9 GHz Turbo: 2.8 GHz

So if your application loads half of the cores only, you might get 2.8 for a while (if there are no thermal issues) on half the cores.

BUT, count on it as 1.9ghz for multi-core workloads. There is no guarantee that it will hit or hold the turbo speeds above 1.9ghz. Compare base speeds when you shop CPU speeds.
Score
September 8, 2012 1:10:23 AM

i did look at the cpu speed but didn't know they would put the wrong speed on it looks like i will be going somewhere else
Score
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2012 2:11:38 AM

That laptop isn't bad for the money, but would you consider Lenovo ? Or a slightly more expensive model ?

The Lenovo U410 (an ultrabook with Ivy Bridge Intel CPU) was on sale at futureshop for only 729.00 dollars, for example.

There is this model (from the canadian website of futureshop, I'm sure the US version is there too):

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-lenovo-id...

That seems like a good deal.
Score
September 8, 2012 3:07:55 PM

nope i don't do much gaming
Score
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2012 5:41:48 PM

la321 said:
nope i don't do much gaming

OKay, then that computer is fine. If you want to spend a few bucks extra, look for a i5-3xxx series processor on basically the same models, a bit more performance.

Score
September 12, 2012 3:43:25 AM

i just bought the lenovo v570 i had an old dell inspiron b130 when i click both the left and right buttons at the same time i could scroll with my touchpad and open separate tabs when i doubled clicked on something in firefox i culd click on a link and it would open in a new tab how do i enable this on my lenovo?
Score
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2012 2:00:24 PM

la321 said:
i just bought the lenovo v570 i had an old dell inspiron b130 when i click both the left and right buttons at the same time i could scroll with my touchpad and open separate tabs when i doubled clicked on something in firefox i culd click on a link and it would open in a new tab how do i enable this on my lenovo?

You may have to dig up the software for trackpad controls. Poke around and see if you can find that, it should allow you some limited options to program the trackpad. You can also go "ctrl+click on link" to open in a new tab.
Score
September 12, 2012 4:42:59 PM

thank you maxx i don't know what kind of software but ctrl+click works
Score
September 22, 2012 3:20:22 PM

it plays on my desktop but not on my laptop
Score
a b D Laptop
September 22, 2012 7:49:43 PM

la321 said:
it plays on my desktop but not on my laptop

Perhaps check to make sure your Flash is updated and your video driver is updated as well ? Some video drivers attempt to use the GPU to accelerate Flash decoding, but doesn't support all resolutions, is my guess...
Score
September 27, 2012 12:16:10 AM

flash player is up to date and just updated my graphics card it still won't play
Score
September 27, 2012 1:50:32 AM

Maxx_Power said:

Couldn't agree more. Im on my Compaq now and BOY this thing is louder than a car's engine when doing some multi tasking
Also my school just purchased some I5 $700 HP Probooks and those things are horrible. The touchpad does not respond at all i had to click 8 times today.
Score
!