video card confusion

addervxi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
hello all, im in the process of getting ready for eq2 (yes im a eq junky), and im upgrading my vid card. I know the war is going on between x800 and 6800, and one might be better than the other in various situations but sony says there working with nvidia, will this make much difference? Does the "looks best on nvidia" or whatever really mean much? I have a 550w power supply but last I read the 6800 ultra needs to have 2 peripheral power cables with nothing else on them! Thats not going to happen, though all i have is a dvd, cd and floppy drive on one. can i get away with dividing up my other loads on the 2 cables given I have 550w? I always had great luck with my 9800 pro and I have no prob with ati. Any ideas would be great! thanks in advance!

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Unless you have a very powerful computer you will not see a significant increase in performance over a 9800 Pro with any new graphics card. What kind of system is the new card going into?

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

addervxi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
My system is a p4 3.0 with 2 gig of ram, im not sure who made the mobo to be honest, its a dell comp, or thats what it started as. Im playing starward galaxies and its super at lower settings, ok at 1280x1024, but any aa or af it gets a little shaky, throw in shadows and there we have problems :) im sure eq2 will be even more demanding so i want to be as ready as i can is the plan.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell uses Dell motherboards, produced by Intel through Intel's sub-contractors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>