Norton Antivirus 2005 on Windows XP Home

Tags:
  • Norton
  • Antivirus
  • Windows XP
May 5, 2005 8:08:02 AM

Went to install this program, and had this happen:

I registered it with the supplied key, did the pre-install scan, no problem.
I was prompted for a location, I accepted the default, and pressed OK.
Immediately, got a message "Cannot install, press OK to quit the
installation" And that's it, no reason, nothing. I read the User's Guide,
recommended I uninstall Zone Alarm, which I did. Got the same response.

Any ideas?

More about : norton antivirus 2005 windows home

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:13:35 PM

"oldstrings" <oldstrings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Went to install this program, and had this happen:
>
> I registered it with the supplied key, did the pre-install scan, no
> problem.
> I was prompted for a location, I accepted the default, and pressed OK.
> Immediately, got a message "Cannot install, press OK to quit the
> installation" And that's it, no reason, nothing. I read the User's Guide,
> recommended I uninstall Zone Alarm, which I did. Got the same response.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you in a Limited Account mode, if you are you won't be able to install
any programs, go to Control Panel and check the users you may have set up
and see who has administrative and who has limited.

Lukc
May 5, 2005 4:13:36 PM

If yours is a legitimate full version of the product you are entitled to free
Technical Support from Symantec.

I suggest you use their skills and talents to reslve your problem it is the
most expedient course to fllow.

"Jim Donovan" wrote:

> "oldstrings" <oldstrings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Went to install this program, and had this happen:
> >
> > I registered it with the supplied key, did the pre-install scan, no
> > problem.
> > I was prompted for a location, I accepted the default, and pressed OK.
> > Immediately, got a message "Cannot install, press OK to quit the
> > installation" And that's it, no reason, nothing. I read the User's Guide,
> > recommended I uninstall Zone Alarm, which I did. Got the same response.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Are you in a Limited Account mode, if you are you won't be able to install
> any programs, go to Control Panel and check the users you may have set up
> and see who has administrative and who has limited.
>
> Lukc

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:22:24 AM

If you had a previous version of Norton's Anti-virus on board, un-install
it/delete the Folder/Files from Program Files, and then, if you have one,
run a Registry cleaner and remove every thing that pertains to Norton's
Anti-Virus. Then re-install the new version AND add a 1(prior to the .exe)
to the Default location the installer suggests. Hope this helps. Nortons am
funny but very effective software.
Gene K

!