How do i find out my IP Address is on a laptop that was stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NieshaD

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
My laptop was stolen and Idon't know the IP address. I wanted to kno if there was a wy for me to find it out so I could have the laptop trcked and found?

cl-scott

Honorable
No, sorry there is no way to find out the IP address of the unit unless you have access to it, and considering you said it was stolen, that seems unlikely. Generally when you see stories about how someone used the IP address to track down a stolen laptop, it is because they had a program installed to send that information to them via email that could be accessed independently of the laptop. It is one of those little details that often gets more or less left out of such stories, because it's highly technical and thus boring.

If your laptop has something like a cellular modem, you can report it stolen to the ISP and they can then check their access logs to see if anyone has been attempting to connect with it, and what cellular towers were contacted by the device to get a rough approximation of where the laptop is, but most cellular carriers will only do this sort of thing at the request of law enforcement.

cl-jeffrey

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
In order to find out what your ip address is you open the start menu and type cmd in the search box and click on the program cmd to open the command prompt. Once it is open you type in ipconfig. There you will find your ip address.

Regarding about a stolen laptop you need to sign up for a tracking service and see if they can find the laptop for you at a fee.

You can also call your manufacturer and they can also help you find your laptop. All they will be able to do is flag the laptop as stolen and could give you some information about your laptop such as the serial number.

there's no way to track it realistically without crucial info that is stored in the laptop. IP addresses are given to computers when it connects to a router, it is assigned one. the computer has its own mac adress but to get that you need to be on the computer itself. if its stolen, there's no way to track it down unless you picked up enough insider information on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.