Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ed: Why Microsoft Won't Price Win7SE High

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
June 17, 2009 1:01:24 AM

With the 3-program limit gone, what incentive are they providing for a user to upgrade? Can current netbook hardware run W7SE as well as XP?
Score
June 17, 2009 1:36:49 AM

Good question. I'll be sure to put it on my list. Keep them coming!
Score
Related resources
June 17, 2009 1:56:15 AM

ask them how much home premium will cost!!
Score
June 17, 2009 2:12:23 AM

Though in my opinion, microsoft may be leveraging the 'you have no choice' option when they finally do stop selling xp
Score
June 17, 2009 2:26:10 AM

Will Microsoft drop the price of Retail and OEM versions of XP and Vista 32/64bit with the release of Win7?
Score
June 17, 2009 2:36:18 AM

chunkymonsterWill Microsoft drop the price of Retail and OEM versions of XP and Vista 32/64bit with the release of Win7?

XP will be gone
But Vista prices may go down
Score
June 17, 2009 2:42:52 AM

I might just as well as to buy Windows 7 Home premium and upgrade the OS myself. I don't care about the price, it's just better than the Starter Edition in many ways ;) 
Score
June 17, 2009 2:49:26 AM

rigaudioWith the 3-program limit gone, what incentive are they providing for a user to upgrade?

Screen size, resolution, maximum hardware specs and unable to change wallpaper/themes restrictions are inplace for starters!
Score
June 17, 2009 3:04:20 AM

smalltime0XP will be goneBut Vista prices may go down

I thought 7 was going to replace Vista? As in vista disappears and XP remains as a low end alternative for low end set-ups... like my dad's ^.^
Score
June 17, 2009 4:14:47 AM

why is windows 7 not free? releasing vista was a crime, and now they want to charge people to buy a new operating system? when will people learn to not trust greedy microshaft
Score
June 17, 2009 5:17:03 AM

willvwhy is windows 7 not free? releasing vista was a crime, and now they want to charge people to buy a new operating system? when will people learn to not trust greedy microshaft

I agree with you!
Score
June 17, 2009 5:28:40 AM

Microsoft should contiune offering XP as a basic OS and make some slight improvements. Just rename WIndows Classic. It would be a low resource requiring O.S. perfect for netbooks, slower PCs or any other small device.
Score
June 17, 2009 5:46:19 AM

willvwhy is windows 7 not free? releasing vista was a crime, and now they want to charge people to buy a new operating system? when will people learn to not trust greedy microshaft

Free? I take it your hatred for microsoft is blinding what sense you may have. Gotta love all the microsoft hate. Build a successful company, make a few bucks and all of the sudden you are the Super Devil.
Score
June 17, 2009 6:04:20 AM

We all saw what windows vista did to business networking (it never happened :p ), and due to that most of us still rely on windows xp. Obviously win 7 brings with it the hope (and agony for companies on budget) of a new network, what will win7 bring to the table that will
help presuade a company to go for it.
Score
June 17, 2009 6:07:11 AM

Why do you continue to buy food from the supermarket when every month they downsize the products and charge you the same, and in some cases more?
Score
June 17, 2009 6:54:33 AM

XP will be gone. But MS will allow a Win7Pro owner to change to XP-Pro. But they are not going to allow OEMs to sell PCs with just XP, other than netbooks... but Win7 is supposed to change that. Considering that the Win7SE is vastly limited, it should be a cheaper OS.

Vista will be gone too. What end-user would want to bother with Vista when Win7 is around? Remember, when vista came out - Retail/upgrade boxes of XP quickly disappeared. You can only buy XP-OEM versions now, until they run out of stock. Vista's market share will peak around Oct 2009 and go downhill from there.

Score
June 17, 2009 7:30:38 AM

Microsoft should offer a free OS like the new Moblin V2. No big apps, just basic life organizing. Let people upgrade from there. These are net books afterall. They are a low cost entry machine or add on to a much bigger Microsoft machine.
Score
June 17, 2009 11:52:50 AM

Doesn't fit their business model. They like making 95% profit off their OS. :) 

Score
June 17, 2009 12:11:00 PM

After having a license of 2000 Pro, XP Pro and Vista Ultimate ( yes i was one of the dumb facks), i think ill head to the bay and get the lastest and greatest from microsoft.

I'm loving se7en x64 so far. But i have a huge doubt that i am going to buy it.
Score
June 17, 2009 12:22:49 PM

Ask them for a volume license key
Score
June 17, 2009 1:57:25 PM

smalltime0XP will be goneBut Vista prices may go down

Unless you consider the XP VM that Win7 will include; so technically it won't be gone. I hope they don't stop supporting it since it'll be everyone's fallback compatibility machine (according to M$)
Score
June 17, 2009 2:39:07 PM

Um. People are going to stop buying crappy netbooks because the netbooks will now cost $20 more? Hm. It is okay to spend $300 on a piece of crap but when we get to $320, well, that is going too far.
Score
June 17, 2009 3:03:47 PM

taybUm. People are going to stop buying crappy netbooks because the netbooks will now cost $20 more? Hm. It is okay to spend $300 on a piece of crap but when we get to $320, well, that is going too far.

lolz
Score
June 17, 2009 4:18:38 PM

taybUm. People are going to stop buying crappy netbooks because the netbooks will now cost $20 more? Hm. It is okay to spend $300 on a piece of crap but when we get to $320, well, that is going too far.

You should get the "Best Comment" award.
Score
Anonymous
June 17, 2009 4:35:53 PM

Bah. You can get Ubuntu for free.
Score
June 17, 2009 8:18:10 PM

Microsoft can't afford to price themselves out of the market. Look at all the smartphones and MID's that are now sporting moblin or android. Once people get used to using these new OS's it won't be long before they realize it's free and it could also run there desktop PC's too.

I skipped Vista, and if the price is high on Win7 will probably not upgrade until I buy a new system. And even that system will likely be dual boot with some flavor of Linux (Moblin, Ubuntu, etc)

It's been over 2 years since I've touched an MS Office product. OpenOffice works great. I see this as the first nail in MS's coffin. They need to keep the price of Win7 competitive when it's released. If I go to the store and Win7 costs more than my graphics card, I'll just keep my trusty old WinXP and silently give them the finger.
Score
June 17, 2009 10:18:04 PM

[(of which Microsoft makes a profit of $15)]

I have zero interest on how much cost Windows on an OEM PC, because I are my own OEM, and as with any PC component, I SHOULD get a cheaper price that from OEM, because is all the money from me to MS, without the OEM taking a slice.

So, why Windows is more expensive? It does not make sense, A direct ISO download from MS at a small debit card charge would transfer all the money to MS, reduce the end user price, save a lot of money in packaging, and increase Windows sales (because of the smallest price). U$S 15 for windows is near pirated prices, and pirated windows is, mostly, the only way to get an XP today.
Score
June 18, 2009 2:30:00 AM

IronRyan21Microsoft should contiune offering XP as a basic OS and make some slight improvements. Just rename WIndows Classic. It would be a low resource requiring O.S. perfect for netbooks, slower PCs or any other small device.
They've been constantly making improvements on XP since launch. Why not just use WinXP SP3 on those machines? Perhaps for lower spec machines they could release Win7 Embedded, but if netbooks can run Win7SE acceptably, why do they need to release a new OS for weaker machines? If it can't run Win7SE, leave XP on it. Or Win95 "B".
Score
June 18, 2009 4:58:21 AM

Windows 7 is great, but charging extra is going to do what the author warns - put it out of reach by driving up costs.

Why are netbooks successful? Because they're CHEAP. Sell LOTS of a cheap product with less margin rather than sell just a few of an expensive product with more margin. By appealing to the masses, you move more units, and with the economic state the way it is today, that's the strategy it will take to win. You've got to sell high quantity.

Asus took the world by surprise with the EEE PC, and now everyone is playing "me too." Competition is fierce, and margins are slim, but they are making some money on netbooks. By selling lots of them, they make more. There will be OEMs that might refuse to buy WIndows 7 licenses, and even switch to a non-windows alternative if MS raises the Windows 7 price too high. There's NO WAY an OS with so many feature and functionality limits should EVER cost more than a perfectly functional copy of XP. I've NEVER seen a netbook with XP on it that I can't at least change the stupid wallpaper on.

This is getting ridiculous. I love Windows 7, but when I buy a netbook it's going to be based on PRICE, not whether it has Windows 7. If it costs me more to have seven on my netbook, screw it. I don't need it to surf the web and do "small notebook PC" activities. XP, Linus, hackintosh, whatever ... they are all fine for a netbook.
Score
June 18, 2009 3:47:50 PM

And MS wonder why peoples are pirating their software...?

Seriously, if Vista wasn't available on MSDNAA I would have never had own a copy.

By the way, when my two gigabyte mobo dies, I was on my Vista OS... strange it never happened under XP!
Score
June 18, 2009 3:53:08 PM

TheMan1214We all saw what windows vista did to business networking (it never happened ), and due to that most of us still rely on windows xp. Obviously win 7 brings with it the hope (and agony for companies on budget) of a new network, what will win7 bring to the table that will help presuade a company to go for it.

I am sorry, but making false upgrade that are actually downgrade most of the time... taking something that works well and making trash with it isn't something that bring customer satisfaction, especially at an inflated price.

I have windows Vista... but I only own it for gaming due to DX10. Why didn't they tried to implement DX10 on XP. Seriously it's a rip-off. Strangely, Vista will be able to have an implementation of DX11 and W7 will be able to emulate XP and DX11... something is fishy there!
Score
June 18, 2009 3:55:22 PM

astrodudepsuFree? I take it your hatred for microsoft is blinding what sense you may have. Gotta love all the microsoft hate. Build a successful company, make a few bucks and all of the sudden you are the Super Devil.

edit: Wrong person quote before this reply.

I am sorry, but making false upgrade that are actually downgrade most of the time... taking something that works well and making trash with it isn't something that bring customer satisfaction, especially at an inflated price.

I have windows Vista... but I only own it for gaming due to DX10. Why didn't they tried to implement DX10 on XP. Seriously it's a rip-off. Strangely, Vista will be able to have an implementation of DX11 and W7 will be able to emulate XP and DX11... something is fishy there!
Score
!