Video card burn in?

PCfreak15

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
What does it mean to burn in a video card. Ive heard that you should do it if you overclock your card. So what does this mean?

Pentium 4 2.4(B)GHz
i845PE, NO INTEGRATED 3D DECCELERATOR HERE!
512MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM CL2.5-3-3-7
Dual 80GB Hard Drives 7200RPM 2M/8M ATA100
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB 4xAGP

When you 'burn-in' a CPU or VPU, or even memory, it's when you run the cpu/gpu at high stress (at stock speeds) to allow the thermal pad/compound to set itself properly. You want to do it for a good period to make sure all components are stable at stock speeds, and gives them a good stress load to start with to make sure everything functions well before OC'ing which takes them beyond normal stress levels. The program CPU burn-in basically monitors temperature and keep cycling the load while you OC so you can check for thermal issues.

If you're not overclocking, then burn-in isn't a big issue, but a good idea non the less. Running 3Dmark on a loop is one of the best ways to burn in the VPU.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: