Sign in with
Your question

R9600Pro/XT volt-mod guide at Adrian's RP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 18, 2004 8:15:56 PM

<A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=11..." target="_new">http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=11...;/A>

A nice little guide, but they forget that the various PCBs are different.

Expect this to only work on LIKE boards.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2004 7:57:45 AM

It is a possibility.

I'd prefer the straight HSF replacement mod, see how far that goes, and not really get out the micro soldering kit, but it is a tempting thing, especially on the memory. The core seems pretty good as is (~540 is only about 50-70mhz below that of the V-moders at Rage) but there's defiitely headroom.

It would be much easier if I didn't give away most of my old parts. The HSF upgrade has more chance of being a low impact thing, whereas the v-mod would really have me sweating it.

Well probably by Septemeber I'll know one way or the other. Nice to see that the dual core AMD will be a socket 939 solution, so that allays any of my 'how long will this socket last' fears.

BTW, I'll probably have that new laptop by the beginning of Aug. I'll let you know what I decide on. Right now it's either entry level IBM or 'Gaming' DELL (not the XPS [waste of money]). I really would love an X600 Axiom based rig, or a GMA900 entry level (sure it sucks but it's better than the old intel extreme), unfortunately it doesn't appear those will be available until AFTER my purchase deadline.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Dell with a Centrino and the mobile R9600 (free DVD burner until the 22nd IIRC [that may be for another model, the P4 w/ R9700]).

Anywhoo, volt moding the R9600 would be interesting, but I'd read every last article/thread/review/warning before starting, because this card would be a nice gift to a few people I know who are using integrated for their basic gaming needs, or another friend who has and R9000P. Either way I'll post the result and a few pics if I do.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
July 19, 2004 8:10:59 AM

As far as the future of the 9600P goes...anything would be easier than a volt mod. I think better cooling would be the first thing I would do.
About the notebook...for heavens sake, dont get anything with a lame video card! You simply wont be happy!
How long have you been shopping for one now?
What makes IBM notebooks(in general) better then Dell's?

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2004 8:23:14 AM

Quote:
What makes IBM notebooks(in general) better then Dell's?

I'd say two things for me. Build quality and customer support.

IBM has been there every time I had an issue, but now even the massive number of ones we have at work (just got a new P4 2.8ghz 8xxx series a few weeks back), they offer mediocre support from what I've heard from the techs in the field. They hate the fact that they had to move from IBM to DELL laptops. They are finding them nowhere near as rugged. And that's the other things, I find the build quality, both durability and fit and finish to be far better on the IBMs. I also have to say I LOVE the little track light which illuminates the keyboard so I can surf/type while watching TV without turning on a light (surprising since I thought it was a BS gimmick at first).

The biggest problem is that the equivalent IBM is MORE THAN twice the price of the Dell ($4500+ vs $2200), also it's nice getting even the small 7% discount from work (equivalent to federal sales tax).

I really prefer IBM, really REALLY prefer them, but I can't justify a huge price diff, only at the entry level are they evenly matched at $999.

a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2004 8:37:23 PM

You mean your T-pad doesn't have it? :lol: 

It's not a light-up keyboard but a little light built into the bezzle that aims down towards the keyboard. Very handy, I love it.

<A HREF="http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/thinkpad/tseries/index.html#th..." target="_new">Link to the Description (they used to have a clickable demo [GIF?] to show illumination)</A>

!