Unlimited GPRS with $10 plan?

Does anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to Fido's "unlimited"
GPRS ($50/month) with the $10/month retention plan?

Jim Poon wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to Fido's "unlimited"
> GPRS ($50/month) with the $10/month retention plan?

Yes.

I am on the $5 plan. During my first month, I was on the $25 plan since the
period covered only a couple of weeks costing me $12.50 for 2.5 megs, whereas
the $5.00 plan would have costed me $2.50 for 250k (no enough when you're
starting on GPRS and want to experiment).

Thanks for your answer. However, I was wondering whether the
unadvertised special $10/month plan (retention program) allows the
$50/month "unlimited" GPRS plan to be added. I know that the unlimited
GPRS option can be added to any "regular" voice plan but since the
$10/month retention plan is a special plan, I was wondering whether
this is possible.

I don't use my cellphone for calls that often and I'm considering
switching to the $10 per month plan since like the "features" of the
$10 per month plan (keeping Fido account and telephone number, getting
1000 free call-forwarding, not having to renew the account like
prepaid, and paying for the calls that I do make).

I want to know if after I switch to this $10 per month plan whether I
can get the unlimited GPRS $50 plan added to it (so I avoid having to
pay the system access fee twice).

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<8c8ca11f6773808c314f81ecf8484baf@news.teranews.com>...
> Jim Poon wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to Fido's "unlimited"
> > GPRS ($50/month) with the $10/month retention plan?
>
> Yes.
>
> I am on the $5 plan. During my first month, I was on the $25 plan since the
> period covered only a couple of weeks costing me $12.50 for 2.5 megs, whereas
> the $5.00 plan would have costed me $2.50 for 250k (no enough when you're
> starting on GPRS and want to experiment).

What's the deal with that $10 retention plan? Is it 100 minutes per month?

"Deejayrockafella" <deejayrockafella@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> What's the deal with that $10 retention plan? Is it 100 minutes per
month?

> "Jim Poon" <invalid_jimpoon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to Fido's "unlimited"
> > GPRS ($50/month) with the $10/month retention plan?

Zero minutes per month. The plan is for when you go away and want to keep
your Fido account or just want the phone for emergency use. You must have
been with Fido postpaid for 3 months before getting on it though.

There aren't any free/included minutes in the $10 retention plan. You
pay for every single minute that you use. In that way, it is like
prepaid except you don't have to remember to renew before an expiry
date. Also unlike prepaid, you don't get free voice mail and free call
display with the $10 retention plan. I'm not sure how much you pay per
minute but with the $10 rentention plan, you pay per second (and not
per minute like prepaid). You also get 1,000 free call-forwarding
minutes. The system access fee ($6.95+taxes) is included in the $10
per month plan so you DON'T wind up paying $16.95+tax.

Jim Poon wrote:
> display with the $10 retention plan. I'm not sure how much you pay per
> minute but with the $10 rentention plan, you pay per second (and not
> per minute like prepaid). You also get 1,000 free call-forwarding
> minutes. The system access fee ($6.95+taxes) is included in the $10
> per month plan so you DON'T wind up paying $16.95+tax.

Fido has recently change the per minute rate to $0.30. But existing users are
being grandfathered at $0.15 (but if you change your subscription for a few
months, you will go back to the $0.30 per minute rate).

Also, the $10 package allows roaming both on Analogue and in usa/overseas. And
you get Fidodollars with it (does one get Fidodollars on prepaid ?)

Yes, you can have unlimited GPRS with $10 package. You can add everything
except fido to fido and unlimited E/W options.

> Thanks for your answer. However, I was wondering whether the
> unadvertised special $10/month plan (retention program) allows the
> $50/month "unlimited" GPRS plan to be added. I know that the unlimited
> GPRS option can be added to any "regular" voice plan but since the
> $10/month retention plan is a special plan, I was wondering whether
> this is possible.
>
> I don't use my cellphone for calls that often and I'm considering
> switching to the $10 per month plan since like the "features" of the
> $10 per month plan (keeping Fido account and telephone number, getting
> 1000 free call-forwarding, not having to renew the account like
> prepaid, and paying for the calls that I do make).
>
> I want to know if after I switch to this $10 per month plan whether I
> can get the unlimited GPRS $50 plan added to it (so I avoid having to
> pay the system access fee twice).
>

> JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> > Jim Poon wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to subscribe to Fido's "unlimited"
> > > GPRS ($50/month) with the $10/month retention plan?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > I am on the $5 plan. During my first month, I was on the $25 plan since
the
> > period covered only a couple of weeks costing me $12.50 for 2.5 megs,
whereas
> > the $5.00 plan would have costed me $2.50 for 250k (no enough when
you're
> > starting on GPRS and want to experiment).

Yes you can sign up for FidoDollars, even on prepaid.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/rewards.shtml#four

CU

> Jim Poon wrote:
> > display with the $10 retention plan. I'm not sure how much you pay per
> > minute but with the $10 rentention plan, you pay per second (and not
> > per minute like prepaid). You also get 1,000 free call-forwarding
> > minutes. The system access fee ($6.95+taxes) is included in the $10
> > per month plan so you DON'T wind up paying $16.95+tax.
>
> Fido has recently change the per minute rate to $0.30. But existing users
are
> being grandfathered at $0.15 (but if you change your subscription for a
few
> months, you will go back to the $0.30 per minute rate).
>
> Also, the $10 package allows roaming both on Analogue and in usa/overseas.
And
> you get Fidodollars with it (does one get Fidodollars on prepaid ?)

---

Thanks for the information.

I actually changed my plan to a new plan that Fido has which allows
for unlimited incoming calls and unlimited incoming SMS, 100 minutes
daytime weekday usage, and 1000 minutes weekend and evening
($25/month+system access fee).

I will probably take the unlimited GPRS for 2 billing cycles to see my
usage before deciding whether it is worthwhile for me to keep it or go
with one of the "limited" GPRS plans that Fido offers.