XP Keeps Rebooting Mem Error

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Win XP Home on a Compaq Persario setup with 2 partions as
it came from the Factory C: Drive & D: Drive

Windows XP Home Edition, Tried to install SP2, Did not
work~ First computer was coming up with blue screen saying
it was missing Winsrv, Did a repair now PC comes up with a
Virtual Mem error & keeps rebooting. I did the repair 2
times & still error keeps coming up. I have no way to
access PC, Tried safe mode, Setup disk they come up with a
Dos error. It's a Compaq Presario Desktop if that helps
about a year old. I even put another drive in the PC with
Win98 on it...Booted up & was able to see the XP drive
however the drive is in 2 part ions & its only showing the
contents of what is the D: Drive & not the C:\windows XP ~
I did this so I could copy all the pictures of my kids &
docs etc & re image it. I know the C:windows XP is still
there because when I do the repair it let me choose it but
is there any other way I can get the PC to boot up & is
there any reason why I could not see the entire drive when
I set it as a secondary drive.

On Thu, 5 May 2005 12:31:28 -0700, "Chris" <chris.hills@thomson.net>
wrote:

>Win XP Home on a Compaq Persario setup with 2 partions as
>it came from the Factory C: Drive & D: Drive
>
>Windows XP Home Edition, Tried to install SP2, Did not
>work~ First computer was coming up with blue screen saying
>it was missing Winsrv, Did a repair now PC comes up with a
>Virtual Mem error & keeps rebooting. I did the repair 2
>times & still error keeps coming up. I have no way to
>access PC, Tried safe mode, Setup disk they come up with a
>Dos error. It's a Compaq Presario Desktop if that helps
>about a year old. I even put another drive in the PC with
>Win98 on it...Booted up & was able to see the XP drive
>however the drive is in 2 part ions & its only showing the
>contents of what is the D: Drive & not the C:\windows XP ~
>I did this so I could copy all the pictures of my kids &
>docs etc & re image it. I know the C:windows XP is still
>there because when I do the repair it let me choose it but
>is there any other way I can get the PC to boot up & is
>there any reason why I could not see the entire drive when
>I set it as a secondary drive.

Sounds like the installer is getting confused about where you're trying to
install XP. I would put only one physical drive in the computer, then
boot with the XP disc and use it to remove all the partitions, then
install XP to the empty disc (XP will partition and format it as one big
partition). Unless there is some special overlay or secret Compaq
partition that you want to keep or use, that is.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/