When I bootup WinXP, I come to a point where my screen displays a radio
button that consists of a solid red circle with a white X inside, and no
text at all.

When I click on the button, the boot proceeds. There are no other
indications of what it is, and it doesn't have any other effect that I am
aware of.

What is this, how do I find it in the boot process, and how do I kill it????

Thanks for any help from anyone!!

Bill

On Thu, 5 May 2005 16:10:53 -0400, "wstinson" <wstinson1@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>When I bootup WinXP, I come to a point where my screen displays a radio
>button that consists of a solid red circle with a white X inside, and no
>text at all.
>
>When I click on the button, the boot proceeds. There are no other
>indications of what it is, and it doesn't have any other effect that I am
>aware of.
>
>What is this, how do I find it in the boot process, and how do I kill it????
>
>Thanks for any help from anyone!!
>
>Bill

Probably some new software you tried out didn't get removed all the way.
Do you recall when it started happening? You could use msconfig
(Start>run>type in msconfig and click Okay) to toggle off the various
entries on the startup tab to find what it is. Then use something like
HijackThis (http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/) to remove the offending entry.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/