16 Bit Windows Subsystem Error

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
application.

Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my CD
Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
Windows XP.

For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
can see from the error message above.

PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as to
why this is happening.

Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Cindy
I recently had the same problem and solved it with the help of another news
group. I have cut and posted my reply to them below.
George

Thanks to everyone for taking the time and trouble in helping me to solve
this problem.
I eventually copied the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\repair to the
system32 folder and then made sure that the autoexec.nt file was read-only.
I would not have managed this without your help, once again thank you all
very much.
George

"Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
> application.
>
> Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my
> CD
> Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
> understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
> Windows XP.
>
> For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
> Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
> played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
> can see from the error message above.
>
> PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as
> why this is happening.
>
> Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Start>Run and type in this without the quotes:
"cmd /c copy /y %windir%\repair\autoexec.nt %windir%\system32"

"Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:61F0C995-65E0-4F73-83FB-BFD157FF4DB8@microsoft.com...
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
> application.
>
> Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my CD
> Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
> understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
> Windows XP.
>
> For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
> Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
> played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
> can see from the error message above.
>
> PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as to
> why this is happening.
>
> Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Neal

i have the same problem but dont have the file autoexe.nt in my repair file

"José Gallardo" wrote:

> Start>Run and type in this without the quotes:
> "cmd /c copy /y %windir%\repair\autoexec.nt %windir%\system32"
>
> "Cindy E." <CindyE@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:61F0C995-65E0-4F73-83FB-BFD157FF4DB8@microsoft.com...
> > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminat the
> > application.
> >
> > Lately, I am getting this error message whenever I try to play many of my CD
> > Rom games on my computer. This has not happened before and I don't
> > understand why they work one day and suddenly they don't. I am running
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > For example, before coming here I tried Freddie Fish: and the Missing Kelp
> > Seeds by Humongous Entertainment. My grandkids love this game and have
> > played it many times on my system in the past. It no longer plays, as you
> > can see from the error message above.
> >
> > PLEASE, somebody help!! Hopefully someone here can give me some idea as to
> > why this is happening.
> >
> > Thanks, from one frazzled grandma!!

Try this from KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;324767