Nvidia Intros New GPUs for Over 100 Secret OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, folks will subliminally think the GTS260M is just as fast as the GTX 260 (Core 216) because of nVidia's confusing naming schemes. Let alone, the presence of a GTX260M. Geeez.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Did nVidia fixed the heat problem? Or they are still giving out faulty chipsets? If the answer is no, than I'll stick to ATI on my notebooks and nVidia on desktop.. :)

[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]Did nVidia fixed the heat problem? Or they are still giving out faulty chipsets? If the answer is no, than I'll stick to ATI on my notebooks and nVidia on desktop..[/citation]

Issues still exist on for laptops AND DESKTOPS with nvidia - i still end up sending batches of 9800GTX+'s away and still see 8600's and 8400's being replaced by the boxload - ill pass thanks nvidia, ATi for my next choice.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
I wish Nvidia or ATI would think about this shrinking die thing ahead of time instead of saving it for the mobile chips.

That way they'll possibly delay the release of chips but I'll have a chip idling 10-20 degrees less.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure that they won't have that same GPU problem... again

I'm pretty sure that they won't make the same mistakes again. After Jen-Hsun's bad choice of using the lead balls, then hiding the flaw away from consumers, I'm pretty sure that he has learned a lesson.

G

GT240m seems interesting with it's 1GB GDDR5 memory!

Would love to see how the G210m performs against ATI and Intel variants!

anonymous x

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Of course, folks will subliminally think the GTS260M is just as fast as the GTX 260 (Core 216) because of nVidia's confusing naming schemes. Let alone, the presence of a GTX260M. Geeez.[/citation]
and? do people complain when think a mobility 4870 doesn't even perform close to a desktop 4870?
any educated enthusiast will check benchmarks before buying.

Heres the problem. A 260m isnt a true 200 family, none of these chips are, theyre 92 based, or have been in the past. They moved their old old 92 base , and renamed it yet again, the 2xx family, on mobile.
And ummm, who needs DX10.1 eh? heheh

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Hmm, small GPUs and using a 128-bit bus with GDDR5? Where have I heard that before...[/citation]
Yep... RV740 anyone?

Previously, the 1900s went to the 1950s, the 7900s went to the 7950s etc, with just new rev, in a years time, so its still the same.
Theres been somewhat of a lull after the G80 release, but since the G200 and R700 families, its returned to the same

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]is it just me or does it seem like video card gpu's have fallen behind in reccent years ??? i remeber when you'dsee a REALLY new chip every 6 months seems the last two gens each sat aroudn for a year before any thing that was really new reared it's head (look how long nvidia beat the Gf 8 series horse).
[/citation]
You're forgetting the time after that on the desktop market when they rebadged most of the 8000 series as 9000 series and then rebadged some of the 9000 series as 200 series chips. New name, same game.
With news like this, there's going to be no end to the rumors on Apple enthusiast sites about when Apple will go behind everyone's backs again and bump up the specs without warning. My guess? November, after the back-to-school season, with Snow Leopard, and i7 based notebooks with the GTS 260M and GT 240M. Oh, and by this time they'll have figured out how to not only switch the chip without logging out, but they'll get hybrid SLi functioning as well. Just you watch. You read it here first, Apple-heads!

Oh, anything with a few unsubstantiated claims and accusations just to start a little controversy. Flame on!

JustinHD81

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Is the memory speed for the GDDR5 right? as they usually quote 800Mhz then X4 for 3200MTs, if that number is right, then we're looking at 7200MTs effective GDDR5

sm0kex

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Wow these naming schemes are totally confusing. LOL I smell a lawsuit somewhat similar one with the vista naming scheme. I dont understand why nvidia couldnt have just done this.
GTX320-GTX325
GTX340-GTX345
GTX360-GTX365
GTX380-GTX385
With the GTX3x5 series just being revisions of the generation before with die shrinks and other optimizations, and for the mobile ships just add an m at the end ie: GTX380M-GTX385M
What i think really is going on here is the engineers have hit a wall and haven't been able to improve the previous generations. Thats why we are just getting these small tweaks

I agree about the naming schemes, its seems shady to call a mobile gpu the same as a desktop product because most people will not understand that the mobile version will typically be much slower. Its very deceiving.

I think it would be cool to have a little honesty:
"This mobile GPU will perform very much like a desktop HD3870. So we are designating this as an HD3870 Mobile"

May not mean much to the average PC buyer, but at least they could decide to research it if they like.

Rebadging old tech is really starting to piss me off too. So much so that I'm not planning on buying ANY manufacturers card for a while. Also the tiny incremental improvements make it a waste of time to upgrade from a previous generation.
I went from an 8800GT to an HD4850 and have noticed very little difference. Sure, some benchmarks are better, but actual computing and gameplay are about the same.

On the other hand, I noticed a HUGE difference going from a Phenom X4 9850 to a PII X4 940. Vast improvement.

But then, CPU naming schemes are freakin stupid too. :D

sm0kex

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
@kami3k
i meant those as an example not as what they should actually be called i know that nvidia will actually releasing GPUs with those names. Im just saying it's confusing especially when people come up to me and ask me i have a GTX120 thats better than the 8800's right sadly for them i shake my head and say "NO" then they argue with me well if this generation is newer then shouldnt it be better? They i again sadly shake my head and say "NO". Poor uninformed people are getting screwed left, right, and center with these confusing naming schemes. What happened to the days when an 7200 was slightly better than than the 6200 and the 7800 better than the 6800. Now we have this bullshit where no in fact your GTXxxx is worse than the generation before because its just a rebadged xxxxGTX or whatever

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]Once my favorite now I dislike NVIDIA. They behave like Microsoft/Intel hybrid now.Also I wonder why people would stick to NVIDIA on the desktop? Are they any better? I don't think so.I think that NVIDIA does not deserve to be the GPU leader currently. I'm pissed off by these huge, really expensive cards that do not help improve anything in the games really!For an year or so ATI is driving up the technology again! This time NVIDIA is the handbreaker. They deserve a bad lesson![/citation]

Huh?

How is playing Crysis at High settings for $160 expensive and not improving things?

GTX 260 - 216 will get you that performance for around that price. What did the 6800 GT's and Ultra's sell for 4 years ago???? Oh yeah, $400. I know because I bought one. I think we've made quite a step forward in graphics technology, both from ATI and Nvidia.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
A couple needed points....

1. Nvidia is not recycling/rebadging chips... If this was true your desktop GTS250 would only use about 50W power. Give them some credit, they are getting a decent amount of performance out of a very small power envelope.

2. The current top mobile GPU is the GTX280m - aka the low power version of the desktop GTS250. That being said....you can get 2 of these in a laptop with a fast (over 3GHz) dual core now (albeit at a hefty price). No matter who you are, you cannot ignore that this will give you very formidable graphics power as a LAPTOP. Even on a 17" 1920x1200 screen. I will also add that currently the Alienware m17x (new one) is much better priced than I had expected given Nvidia's past pricing for top end mobile gpus.

3. As for the comment about the Radeon 3870 and mobility variant, I agree that ATI is much better about naming its mobility parts, the 3870 desktop and 3870 mobility are the exact same core architecture just lower frequency and lower power consumption, a tip of the hat to them.

I strongly agree that Nvidia needs to consistently name their desktop and mobile parts based on actual core configuration. And wtf is up with mobile chips getting multiple newer technologies than the desktop parts (GDDR5, DX10.1, 40nm), the gtx300 chips better be AMAZING Nvidia....I don't like getting leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.