TECH: Star Trek no speech

Well the saga continues......

Monitor is fixed and working grrrreat! However, no speech. All of the sounds are
present.

I'm getting all of my proper voltages from the power supply. Does anyone know
where I should start looking? I'm curious how people work on these boards while
they are in the cage. Board extender?

Other strange thing is when I hit the test button on the CPU it does some kind
of memory test and does some type of player one and then stops on some type of
video test. Seems to be the screen test then it just stays here.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eavedesian/STscreen.JPG

Any suggestions?

TIA,

--
Eric A.
eavedesianNO_SPAM_@comcast.net

Mr. Propane Torch!!

ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HS,HS2,B@by-P@c M@n,St&Sp,Strgte,BK
Remove NO_SPAM_ to reply
8 answers Last reply
More about tech star trek speech

    Eric,

    I once fixed a ST with the SAME symptoms. After I retensioned the card
    edge sockets on the rack and scotch brited the edge connectors the
    delay at TEST was gone. REMEMBER during the test, if player ONE appears
    on screen, HIT THAT BUTTON. If I remember correctly hitting it a few
    times progressed the test (odd, I know)

    People out there still work on racked boardsets. They just have
    fixtures made up that will allow the to lay out all the boards sideways
    and flat. one next to another. At least thats how mine test jig is
    setup for GORFS. But it takes time and patience to build it and if
    there is not a lot of demand I don't bother with a particular board. I
    got one for GORFS but Flew blind on the ST. I thought about a midway
    8088 jig for the L shaped deals.. but I'm having way too much fun
    working on them assembled :)

    On the speech - That game has NINE DAC's - GOOD LUCK! ;)

    - Matt

    I'm assuming that the speech just stopped working recently, correct?

    Did you double check the game settings. I know the speech can be turned
    off during attract mode.(However, I don't know how this effects what
    little speech there is during gameplay).

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    On 1 May 2005 19:58:36 -0700, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    >I'm assuming that the speech just stopped working recently, correct?
    >
    >Did you double check the game settings. I know the speech can be turned
    >off during attract mode.(However, I don't know how this effects what
    >little speech there is during gameplay).
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.
    It won't work in the test menu either

    --

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 20:34:59 -0400, Eric A. <eavedesianNO_SPAM_@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Well the saga continues......
    >
    >Monitor is fixed and working grrrreat! However, no speech. All of the sounds are
    >present.

    Turns out that the speech will work for about 5 minutes then cut out. If I let
    it cool down for about an hour then it will work again for about 5 minutes. Any
    suggestions?

    --
    Eric A.
    eavedesianNO_SPAM_@comcast.net
    313-268-0541

    Mr. Propane Torch!!

    ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HS,HS2,B@by-P@c M@n,St&Sp,Strgte,BK
    Remove NO_SPAM_ to reply

    do you have the fan install above/ on the top of the cage?
    one belongs there, in most all Sega xy games.

    Troy,

    Eric A. wrote:
    > What fan? Mine doesn't have one. Also, I went through the boards and
    sprayed
    > some "Freeze It" component cooler on them and nothing changed. I
    thinks me needs
    > to get a little more aggressive with the spray......

    Another thing you should probably take a hard look at is the power
    supply. This can be the source of many problems. Typically the 10-pin
    connectors on these things start to brown/blacken. If you see any
    evidence of this, open up the power supply, resolder the header pins,
    replace the burnt connector and the burnt pins.

    As for the fan, there is typically one that mounts to the top of the
    cage (the same type that is found in the back near the monitor,
    assuming you have a converta cabinet). I've found them to be annoying
    so I don't use them myself; lack of a fan does not cause this speech
    failure, and though it may help temporarily to have a fan installed
    since it sounds like a heat related failure, it sounds like something
    has already "failed" and needs to be dealt with.

    For extenders, ElektronForge sells an extender for repairing/testing
    these cards:

    http://www.elektronforge.com/products.htm

    Good luck!

    --
    Mark Jenison
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    --
    Eric A.
    eavedesianNO_SPAM_@comcast.net
    313-268-0541

    Mr. Propane Torch!!

    ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HS,HS2,B@by-P@c M@n,St&Sp,Strgte,BK
    Remove NO_SPAM_ to reply
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    >Turns out that the speech will work for about 5 minutes then cut out. If I let
    >it cool down for about an hour then it will work again for about 5 minutes. Any
    >suggestions?

    Well I got it figured out! Turns out it was a bad Speech synthesis chip SPO250
    at U2 on the speech board.

    The confusing thing is why when I sprayed it with the freeze spray did it not
    start working? Only after I let it sit for a while would it come back.....go
    figure....

    --
    Eric A.
    eavedesianNO_SPAM_@comcast.net