First AGP Aperture test I have seen! :)

Terracide

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
This test <A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=779176" target="_new"> Test found on page two in thread </A> shows virtual NO difference between 32MB and 256MB AGP Aperture! :)
(On a GF6800)

Just as I suspected :)

Terracide - Facts speaks louder than beliefs :)

Don't pretend - BE!

yep...and?

<font color=blue>My <font color=red>dick</font color=red> is so big, that my <font color=red>dick</font color=red> has a <font color=red>dick</font color=red>. And my <font color=red>dicks' dick</font color=red> is bigger than yours.</font color=blue>

G

...and keep that link for allthe noobs that ask about aperture size!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
yeah and then they release doom 3, kiss that thought goodbye, cuz doom3 is gonna eat it up, it can use up to 512MB of video memory, so if you set it on the highest settings it will start using your system memory instead theoretically, i hope you have 2GB hehe...

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Ok...obviously you don't know what Apecture size does. Go out and get a ATI Rage 16mb and try a benchmark with 32mb apecture size, and then try it with 128mb apecture size, you will see a difference probably.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>
<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>

Terracide

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Go out and get a ATI Rage 16mb and try a benchmark with 32mb apecture size, and then try it with 128mb apecture size, you will see a difference probably.
Your point being? :)
Who games on obsolete cards?
Did you not notice the (On a GF6800) in my first post? :)
Don't shot the messenger, just becasue you havn't got up to date hardware ;)

Terracide..

Don't pretend - BE!

Terracide

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
yeah and then they release doom 3, kiss that thought goodbye, cuz doom3 is gonna eat it up, it can use up to 512MB of video memory, so if you set it on the highest settings it will start using your system memory instead theoretically, i hope you have 2GB hehe...
The Doom ]|[ 512GFX-RAM "Ultra Quality" mode, can be played on what cards today ? ;)

Don't pretend - BE!

my XFX5600!!!

...well maybe not

<font color=blue><font color=red>Milk</font color=red> my <font color=red>ass</font color=red>, and call me <font color=red>Nancy</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
5200ultras should have no problems with it really, sinse they are true DX9 hardware

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002

yep

hi sexy *KISSES*

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
That wasn't an analogy. It was sarcasm. :)

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I remember that being the case for most games years ago, however using 128MB had a positive affect on a benchmark that was programed for that setting: 3D Mark 2001. So I tell people to set it at 128MB.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

They gonna call it PCIe Apperture size!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think they're assuming that PCI-e cards will have enough local memory that the special cache area of system RAM is unneeded.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Terracide

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Crashman:
So there will be no feature like this on PCI-E? :)
I did think that it would "dissapear", as the PCI-E bus not is a GFX-specific bus , but a universal bus, and not like the AGP, GFX-only bus :)

But anyone has any facts regarding this? :)

Terracide...

Don't pretend - BE!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Many of AGP's special features are shortcuts to reduce latency and access times. If you make the rest of the system fast enough, these become less adventagious. Add to the fact that busses are getting faster with the fact that cards are getting more RAM than they need, and I doubt companies find any benefit to this feature any longer.