deleting files and folders WinXP Home

May 6, 2005 1:57:05 AM

Hi y'all,

I've done a little searching in the KB and didn't find anything to help me
with my problem. I've even looked here and nada. Any way, I cannot delete
nor open some files and folders on one of my drives. I have admin rights.
I've tried safe mode, tried command prompt while explorer is closed (a
suggestion from someone here). I've tried everything I can think of. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Robert
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:57:06 AM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:57:05 GMT, "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo_dot_calm>
wrote:

>Hi y'all,
>
>I've done a little searching in the KB and didn't find anything to help me
>with my problem. I've even looked here and nada. Any way, I cannot delete
>nor open some files and folders on one of my drives. I have admin rights.
>I've tried safe mode, tried command prompt while explorer is closed (a
>suggestion from someone here). I've tried everything I can think of. Any
>ideas?

Are they just normal files and folders? Or ones with long weird names
like crackers use to store their files after compromising your computer?

You have admin rights but did you take ownership of the files? Ran chkdsk
to make sure the drive's filesystem is okay? Can you copy the files? You
could always delete them either using the short 8.3 name from a command
window or using their UNC name. Failing that you could covert the drive
to FAT32 with one of the 3rd party tools like Paragon Partition Manager,
BootitNG, or Symantec's Partition Magic.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Try going to run,type:D iskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click the drive,then go to
actions,
all,select,make drive active,close out..

"Mr. Newt" wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I've done a little searching in the KB and didn't find anything to help me
> with my problem. I've even looked here and nada. Any way, I cannot delete
> nor open some files and folders on one of my drives. I have admin rights.
> I've tried safe mode, tried command prompt while explorer is closed (a
> suggestion from someone here). I've tried everything I can think of. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:10:38 AM

Most of the files are actually folders (presumably with files in them).
I've tried command prompt, I've tried Disk Management. Nothing has worked
so far. Rest of the disk is fine. Checking the disk says it's okay.

!