TECH: Robotron speaker... 4 or 8 ohms?

Last response: in Video Games
May 2, 2005 5:30:07 AM

Ok.. the speaker in the grill in the Robo cab I have is marked 4 ohms...
unfortunatly it's completly missing the cone. Somone stuck in a replacement
(by simply letting it stick to the metal plate across the back). This one
is 8 ohms...

Does anyone know what the impedence is actually supposed to be?

Thanks,

steve
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:30:08 AM

c/half/double
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:32:21 AM

NM, I found it on www.robotron-2084.co.uk it was in a PDF image so the
search didn't turn it up right away.

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Ok.. the speaker in the grill in the Robo cab I have is marked 4 ohms...
> unfortunatly it's completly missing the cone. Somone stuck in a
> replacement (by simply letting it stick to the metal plate across the
> back). This one is 8 ohms...
>
> Does anyone know what the impedence is actually supposed to be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> steve

May 2, 2005 5:32:22 AM

Steve,

Using a speaker with half the reactive nominal load rating will simply
only yield half the volume output with the given wattage. Or a loss of
3db. No biggie.

- Matt
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:32:22 AM

Not @ 8 ohms. If youwent sky high (like a 12 ohm driver) you would have
to crank the gain up on that 5-20 watt amp just to get 2-6 watts of
sound out of that speaker. at that point you may start to distort. 8
ohms is a nice load to drop across a amp designed to see 4 ohms all
day. The amp will run @ half the temp with half the power consumption
and your only loss will be about 3db's of sound output.

c'ya!

- Matt
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:49:54 AM

I wasn't sure if mismatching the impedence was going to have any adverse
distortion effects.

thanks,

steve

"Matty-t" <matthews@audio-doctors.com> wrote in message
> c/half/double

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:13:04 PM

Thanks... I should have paid more attention to all those damn analog
courses... I ended up switching from EE to Computer Engineering and taking
whole lot more digital courses (which were much more interesting to me). I
figured if I can bias an op-amp then I'm set... (little did I know that I'd
end up working on cell-phone receiver sw and had to help in the debugging of
the front end circuit).

!