TECH: Robotron speaker... 4 or 8 ohms?

Ok.. the speaker in the grill in the Robo cab I have is marked 4 ohms...
unfortunatly it's completly missing the cone. Somone stuck in a replacement
(by simply letting it stick to the metal plate across the back). This one
is 8 ohms...

Does anyone know what the impedence is actually supposed to be?

Thanks,

steve
6 answers Last reply
More about tech robotron speaker ohms

    c/half/double

    NM, I found it on www.robotron-2084.co.uk it was in a PDF image so the
    search didn't turn it up right away.

    "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Ok.. the speaker in the grill in the Robo cab I have is marked 4 ohms...
    > unfortunatly it's completly missing the cone. Somone stuck in a
    > replacement (by simply letting it stick to the metal plate across the
    > back). This one is 8 ohms...
    >
    > Does anyone know what the impedence is actually supposed to be?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > steve

    Steve,

    Using a speaker with half the reactive nominal load rating will simply
    only yield half the volume output with the given wattage. Or a loss of
    3db. No biggie.

    - Matt

    Not @ 8 ohms. If youwent sky high (like a 12 ohm driver) you would have
    to crank the gain up on that 5-20 watt amp just to get 2-6 watts of
    sound out of that speaker. at that point you may start to distort. 8
    ohms is a nice load to drop across a amp designed to see 4 ohms all
    day. The amp will run @ half the temp with half the power consumption
    and your only loss will be about 3db's of sound output.

    c'ya!

    - Matt

    I wasn't sure if mismatching the impedence was going to have any adverse
    distortion effects.

    thanks,

    steve

    "Matty-t" <matthews@audio-doctors.com> wrote in message
    > c/half/double

    Thanks... I should have paid more attention to all those damn analog
    courses... I ended up switching from EE to Computer Engineering and taking
    whole lot more digital courses (which were much more interesting to me). I
    figured if I can bias an op-amp then I'm set... (little did I know that I'd
    end up working on cell-phone receiver sw and had to help in the debugging of
    the front end circuit).

    > Not @ 8 ohms. If youwent sky high (like a 12 ohm driver) you would have
    > to crank the gain up on that 5-20 watt amp just to get 2-6 watts of
    > sound out of that speaker. at that point you may start to distort. 8
    > ohms is a nice load to drop across a amp designed to see 4 ohms all
    > day. The amp will run @ half the temp with half the power consumption
    > and your only loss will be about 3db's of sound output.
    >
    > c'ya!
    >
    > - Matt

Games Speakers Video Video Games