FiringSquad looks at the new ASUS X600XT-HTVD

Interesting look. Nice to see the faster memory modules on the ASUS, but once again the SmartDoctor program they peddle kills any serious overclocking.

<A HREF="http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/asus_radeon_x600xt_eax600xt/" target="_new">http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/asus_radeon_x600xt_eax600xt/</A>

Still not impressed enough with it though, the RV410 sounds like a far superior part, but we'll see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I would have like to seen 6800/X800 results on their charts for comparison.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

pauldh

Illustrious
I'd rather have seen R9700 Pro in there. 9700Pro/9800/9800 Pro is my measurement for future midrange cards. If a new card listing for $200 can't beat out R9700 Pro/R9800np, then it's a let down to me.

You have to look back at their last review to see how the X800 and X600 compares to a R9600XT.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
Ever since I discovered my Asus GF4Ti4200 could run 320/640 all day long, I have thought highly of their video cards and memory. That card also came clocked higher than normal.

Hopefully they get Smart Dr. ironed out better. Odd it wouldn't overclock with other utilities. Wonder if they uninstalled smart doctor first. Maybe that and if they used the drivers from ATI site, then they could OC it.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Yeah Smart Doc kills an otherwise awesome looking card. Sure I'd prefer the RV410 when it comes out but compared to the current direct competition it's nice. But I dojn't want some overdrive style thing to keep me from OC'ing my card!

I run my BBA at 456/333 consistently and occasionally bump it to 475/345 if things bog down at higher res, and I'd hate to think that I lose that flexibility when I need it. I prefer stock settings on my day to day considering Morrowind runs fine with stock settings, and who really needs more than 30-40fps with that? However for UT2K4 sessions I like ensuring that I don't get low min. fps.

I think that you could expect this card to be close to the R9700NP's numbers in all but the highest res or AA settings, where memory bandwidth would really come into play. IT's just a guess but I think that would be close to where it would be.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: