Xp hardware question about monitors.

Hi all,

I am running windows XP with sp2 installed with a NVidia geforce 440 AGP8x.
Now the trouble I am having is that the hardware profile for my PC is
showing 2 monitors installed and the video card has options for both. Now I
only have one monitor installed and I have tried deleting one from the list,
un-installing it from the hardware profile, but after a reboot there are 2
again.
they are listed as default monitor and plug and play monitor.
The plug and play one is the one that the card is using as monitor 1 so I
tried the uninstall of the default be it came back.

I tried disabling it and when I call up my display properties I still get
options for resolution etc for 2 monitors.
I have an onboard graphics chip but I have it fully disabled and uninstalled.

monitor 1 is a proview/emc/pts em-175 this is the one windows is using and
is listed as plug and play monitor in my hardware listing.
monitor 2 is listed as TV in the nvidia software. If I select this as my
view type the monitor goes into power save mode and I have to hit escape to
get back.
The second listed monitor in the hardware listing is know as default monitor.

I have nividia set to a single display set up so why is windows display
properties allowing me to select resolutiuons etc for 2 monitors? in there it
doesn't list TV it lists the Plug and play which I use and is set to 32bit
1024 x 768. listing 2 is the default monitor and won't go any higher than 800
x 600 32 bit.

these are the listings for the drivers for both.
PnP microsoft driver version 5.1.2001.0
DISPLAY\PTS0304\5&152B52D&3&11335577&01&00

default microsoft driver 5.1.2001.0
DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&152B52D&3&113377A1&01&00

can anyone help me get rid of this "default monitor" from my hardware
listing so that Windows doesn't see that I have 2 and so my video card only
has set up for one monitor?

Thnx
Iceman

Your Video card apparently has a TV out connection and the drivers would
have been installed with the video drivers.
Might I suggest you go to the NVidea website and search for the latest and
greatest drivers for your particular video card.
Install them following the directions on the website.The TV might just
disappear at that point.
Also try to load the .icm file that corresponds to your monitor and you will
be able to change from plug&pray to your specific model.
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"Iceman_Xtreme" <IcemanXtreme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am running windows XP with sp2 installed with a NVidia geforce 440
> AGP8x.
> Now the trouble I am having is that the hardware profile for my PC is
> showing 2 monitors installed and the video card has options for both. Now
> only have one monitor installed and I have tried deleting one from the
> list,
> un-installing it from the hardware profile, but after a reboot there are 2
> again.
> they are listed as default monitor and plug and play monitor.
> The plug and play one is the one that the card is using as monitor 1 so I
> tried the uninstall of the default be it came back.
>

> I tried disabling it and when I call up my display properties I still get
> options for resolution etc for 2 monitors.
> I have an onboard graphics chip but I have it fully disabled and
> uninstalled.
>
> monitor 1 is a proview/emc/pts em-175 this is the one windows is using and
> is listed as plug and play monitor in my hardware listing.
> monitor 2 is listed as TV in the nvidia software. If I select this as my
> view type the monitor goes into power save mode and I have to hit escape
> get back.
> The second listed monitor in the hardware listing is know as default
> monitor.
>
> I have nividia set to a single display set up so why is windows display
> properties allowing me to select resolutiuons etc for 2 monitors? in there
> it
> doesn't list TV it lists the Plug and play which I use and is set to 32bit
> 1024 x 768. listing 2 is the default monitor and won't go any higher than
> 800
> x 600 32 bit.
>
> these are the listings for the drivers for both.
> PnP microsoft driver version 5.1.2001.0
> DISPLAY\PTS0304\5&152B52D&3&11335577&01&00
>
> default microsoft driver 5.1.2001.0
> DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&152B52D&3&113377A1&01&00
>
> can anyone help me get rid of this "default monitor" from my hardware
> listing so that Windows doesn't see that I have 2 and so my video card
> only
> has set up for one monitor?
>
> Thnx
> Iceman

Hi,

I have the latest version of the driver for my graphics card. I got it about
a week ago.
This doesn't seem to be the graphics card drivers fault though. Cos I have
nvidia software set to a single screen system. But windows seems to have 2
monitors installed driverwise. the plug and play on is being used the default
one is not.

How do I find this .icm file you refer to?

"peterk" wrote:

> [...]
> > The second listed monitor in the hardware listing is know as default
> > monitor.
> >
> > I have nividia set to a single display set up so why is windows display
> > properties allowing me to select resolutiuons etc for 2 monitors? in there
> > it
> > doesn't list TV it lists the Plug and play which I use and is set to 32bit
> > 1024 x 768. listing 2 is the default monitor and won't go any higher than
> > 800
> > x 600 32 bit.
> >
> > these are the listings for the drivers for both.
> > PnP microsoft driver version 5.1.2001.0
> > DISPLAY\PTS0304\5&152B52D&3&11335577&01&00
> >
> > default microsoft driver 5.1.2001.0
> > DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&152B52D&3&113377A1&01&00
> >
> > can anyone help me get rid of this "default monitor" from my hardware
> > listing so that Windows doesn't see that I have 2 and so my video card

I use a radeon card that is capable of 2 monitors and mine used to display 2
monitors...the same one twice with different settings.I finally just set it
to default single display.Dont know if that option is available to you.
The .icm file usually is on a disc that comes with the monitor or can be
downloaded from the manufaturers website.
under device manager if you right click your Plug&pray monitor and then
click update driver XP will search for drivers.You can also point the update
driver wizard to a specific location for the .icm file.You can click dont
search....install from a list.....and then dont search I will chose.At which
point the wizard will list the various monitors that it has files for,maybe
is there but just not being used.
good luck