Had to install from partition. SP2?

A little while ago, I deleted what turned out to be a very imporant file and
had to perform a nondestructive recovery or whatever its called from the
backup partition on my hard drive. It fixed the problem, but I recently tried
to open the security center, and could not get it to work. This made me
wonder if perhaps it reverted back to the original build of XP, without SP2.
Also, before doing that, I tried to revert to the last known working
configuration, from the same list of options as safe mode, but it would not
launch either.

Also, this may or may not be related, but when I go to the Windows Update
web page, it displays "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
Software..." and then does nothing.

I do have automatic updates enabled, but I'm not sure if they're working or
not.

Try installing xp cd,exit the page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then
type:EXIT Restart computer,remove cd.

"jediman05" wrote:

> A little while ago, I deleted what turned out to be a very imporant file and
> had to perform a nondestructive recovery or whatever its called from the
> backup partition on my hard drive. It fixed the problem, but I recently tried
> to open the security center, and could not get it to work. This made me
> wonder if perhaps it reverted back to the original build of XP, without SP2.
> Also, before doing that, I tried to revert to the last known working
> configuration, from the same list of options as safe mode, but it would not
> launch either.
>
> Also, this may or may not be related, but when I go to the Windows Update
> web page, it displays "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update
> Software..." and then does nothing.
>
> I do have automatic updates enabled, but I'm not sure if they're working or
> not.

When we bought the computer, it did not come with a CD. Apparently HP thinks
we'll never need to use it.