Far Cry 1.2 Patch is awesome

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I downloaded the Far Cry 1.2 patch today and installed DirectX 9.0C and there is a big difference in detail with the shaders. More definition in the enemies faces, more detail in the water, better bump mapping on the walls....just a great visual improvement overall. I can tell that its really stressing my system but its definitely playable with everything maxed out and at 1024x768. I don't know why I read several articles that said it would only really benefit Nvidia cards.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
That's interesting - I thought that besides adding SM3.0 support the patch did nothing of note, so it shouldn't make any difference at all to any card other than the new nvidia ones....

You sure all the settings are the same?

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro @412/740

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, for a R9800 Pro, I thought all the patch would do is rob you of a few fps. :wink:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
they're out? NICE!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
There are definite improvements. I had everything maxed out before and now there is just a higher level of refinement. The "glistening sweat" effect on some of the guys is great (gee, that sounds kind of gay doesn't it?), the bumb mapping is more pronounced on just about everything, and the water which was already very cool is even better.

Just do a Goggle search for DirectX 9.0C and you'll find it. It was ripped from the last XP SP2 candidate and installed just fine. You have to install it in safe mode, run the hotfix, and then the registry entry. I got all three from the following as well as instructions but its available at other places.
<A HREF="http://www.iamnotageek.com/articles.php?aid=85&page=1&topic=DX_9c" target="_new">http://www.iamnotageek.com/articles.php?aid=85&page=1&topic=DX_9c</A>

I'm running Catalyst Drivers 4.7

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
If you are using 9.0c and geforce 6800 for SM 3.0 support I thought the latest drivers from Nvidia did not support SM 3.0. Are you using a beta driver? Where did you get Nvidia drivers with SM 3.0 support?

cleeve

Illustrious
He's not using an Nvidia card, dude.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Jesus Christ julesjt, calm down. You're showing your youth.

Reread my original post carefully. All I said was that after applying the 1.2 patch on my system, with the stats listed at the bottom, I had a greater level of detail in the shaders. I never mentioned version 3.0 shaders or that I had Nvidia hardware (chipset aside). Because all of the articles I read before the patch said the "RUMOR" was that only Nvidia cards would see a noticeable benefit. If you read this list of official changes by Ubisoft, then you will see that one of the things listed was "Added optimizations for character effects including invulnerability shader". Now to me, that's a general statement that says nothing along the lines of "Hey guess what, Pixel 3.0 shaders only!"

Of course, all of this is moot at the moment since its been recalled.....

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, ATi 9800Pro, Audigy Platinum, 2/5 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kwplunchbox on 07/25/04 02:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
DX9c includes SM2.0b , which is whats giving ATI cards performance increases with the 1.2 Fartcry patch.

read my thread, youll understand hopefully

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

But supposedly you have to do some tweaking and trick FarCry into running PS2.0b, it won't do it on it's own.

So unless he did that, whatever he is experiencing isn't the 2.0b instancing support. So it's likely something else going on.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
oh

well damn, why the hell WOULDNT they turn it on??? i mean free performance along wit better IQ? wtfuckle

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

well damn, why the hell WOULDNT they turn it on???
*Cough* nV *Cough*

Um, I don't know. :wink:

But it could be something they worried about compatibility, however really after what their patch did to the ATI cards already (hmm can you say recall!?!), I can't see that being a good enough excuse anymore.

TWIMTBP good for you, good for me?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED IS LA BOMB~ :D

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Includes SM2.0b , which is whats giving ATI cards performance increases with the 1.2 Fartcry patch
I actually read that somewhere after my last post and chalked it up to that. I'm wondering if the patch they released automatically enabled 2.0b support instead of having to do it manually. If politics are involved, that might be the "unexpected behavior" that was cited. Of course, only someone as paranoid as me would suspect that kind of pressure on Ubisoft from Nvidia. <g> Let the flames begin.

Actually the recall likely stems from alot of people's (aka ATI users) texture issues after the patch, like taupe regions appearing where before it was a nice green hillside.

In just about every review of the patch there were issues. Anand, TheTechReport, and even LARS did a good job of exposing the issue. Here's <A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040705/images/x800-bug.png" target="_new">the screenie</A> from LARS' review.

I doubt it auto enabled it because supposedly you have to trick the game into thinking that it's an SM3.0/PS3.0 capable card before you get access to PS2.0B, so unless it's not identifying hardware correctly (which isn't unheard of either) then I doubt it's auto-enabling.