Sign in with
Your question

Doom 3 benchies

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2004 11:55:23 PM

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy" target="_new">Clicky Link</A>

I'm not surprised with the GF6800/X800 results (other than they are significantly different than the early pc gamer impression review would lead one to believe), but the FX5900 with AA/AF is a little surprising.

I'm also dissapointed they didn't bother to benchmark on a mid-level rig considering the R9800 and FX5950 are not the minimum specs so it would be nice to see what 1024x768 looks like on an FX5700U and R9600XT with an XP2400+/P42.4 (edit: 5900XT would be a nice addition too, as would the FX5200 , X300 andGMA900 just for the heck of it. Hell why not throw in an XGI :evil:  ).

I think that's a good indicator for most of the older gear crowd. Oh well, have to wait for that one.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 07/21/04 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 22, 2004 12:32:55 AM

Hmmm loooks good.
seems ill be able to play it with my R9800pro,
though not with any level of AA.

As for the results of the two manufacturers thats about what i expected.
Better for the Nvidia card as thats what it was designed for.

One should reasonably be able to expect a boost with future releases of ati drivers...
WHen the game eventually arrives

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil: 
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 12:37:41 AM

Yeah I'm just curious about the other classes of hardware since I'd like to play this on the plane out east on the 6th. I WILL put this into my consideration of a new laptop. I'd love to, but don't expect to, see a review with an R9000M, 9600M, 9700M, FX5200GO, FX5700GO with a centrino and a P4 3.0 mobile. I'm trying to get IBM Canada to sell me a T42 with a centrino 1.7 and an R9600M like they have a vailable in the US, otherwise I may go with Dell's P42.8 + R9700M.

In anycase, for a preview review it's nice to have. Nothing truely 'shocking', but it does reinforce the idea that the GT is the card to buy if you plan on playing D3 primarily.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 12:44:17 AM

Their upcoming Doom3 Hardware Guide looks like it will provide alot of answers as to how all our systems will play D3. I'll look forward to reading that.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 12:51:53 AM

I just can't wait for some IQ comparisons or medium, high and the most intriguing Ultra-High. What exactly do they offer?

I assume shadows play a role, but what about the rest of the IQ? Is it significantly better to drop from 16x12 medium/high to 12x10 and raise to high/ultra?

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 12:57:24 AM

Yeah, very good points. I'd also like to see the FX5950's AA/AF IQ looked into. :eek: 

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 1:03:18 AM

Side note, I can only imagine the nightmares the little kid sitting behind you on the airplane will have watching you play Doom3 until you batteries go dead. LOL, well at least he won't hear the fear also.

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 2:08:35 AM

Did you expect to run 1600x1200? I'd be happy with 1280x1024 medium quality or 1024x768 high quality. I wonder which will look better.

July 22, 2004 2:29:42 AM

Wow, nice to know I'll be able to play D3 with my 5900nu. Looks like ATI will have to lower the x800 pro price and bring out that x800 GT that was rumored about. Wish I could afford the 6800 GT.
July 22, 2004 2:40:50 AM

Quote:
but it should be noted that some of the ATI cards did show a performance drop when colored mip levels were enabled, implying some fudging of the texture filtering.

Odd that he would mention that.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 3:27:39 AM

I'm not worried about battery life (2+ batteries! :evil:  ), and if I can play with a virtual driver, then I can swap the the other spare into the ultrabay (if I get the T-pad).

I've decided it's best to buy a second battery now than to try and look for one later once one dies. After the first one dies, then it's time to seel the laptop because the second is probably not far behind :evil:  . I HATE laptop batteries!

I'm not as interested in FX5900 IQ so much as FX5200 vs 8500/9100 IQ + speed and especially the difference between high and this Ultra-High. The idea of 512mb cards is interesting, but if there is no real visual difference and little speed impact between the two then there will still be no compelling reason to worry about that amount of memory.

As for the kids behind me, their parents will likely be more scared than them. :lol: 

Just give me some old spinster who's never seen a Freddy or Jason movie, now that's the perfect target audience. :evil: 

July 22, 2004 5:21:08 AM

Just checked it out from Kinney on MSN.

Quite interesting, surprised about the nVidia results, though I am curious to know if the code path wasn't in favor of nVidia or that was the actual optimized one for both cards.

Nonetheless, it's the idea that even an MX440 would play it well that pleases me. I want my 1.4GHZ AXP with a Ti200 to stand on its own so I can play it. And they say it's likely doable and satisfying.
I don't have enough money to upgrade any important piece of hardware, and so I must stick for now with this. I might just pre-order it really.

Kinney though had a point about the better idea of going nVidia with SLI, by getting a PCI Express board and getting a GT, which later you will add another. Two GTs in Doom III, not to mention the price will eventually be damn low, about half the introductory price.

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>
July 22, 2004 5:25:18 AM

Did [H] get those results from Carmack or were they supplied the hardware or they just got it themselves and got the timedemo?

It would've been good to see a low-end system test though. IMO this is the majority of the users, around the 1.2-2GHZ part, with cards from the geForce 3 to the 8500 to the GF4MX. I'm hoping they will get to it and try out High Quality. Heck, see if lower resolutions will help at all.

I'm also surprised why they benched the game with only image quality enhancement settings. Why not try no enhancements, to show raw performance? Most mid to low end systems will be going for that configuration anyways.

--

XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
July 22, 2004 5:27:15 AM

Imagine that, Doom III's graphics will be so amazing that even cheating cards that yeild low image quality will yeild FarCry image quality! :lol: 

--

July 22, 2004 5:59:29 AM

I still can't figure out why so few reviews only show the average Frames per second and not the minimum. I would buy a card that had a higher minimum over a higher average, any day of the week.

Oh yeah, my hats off to NVidia for making such a great product in the 6800GT, now if only they would send one to Toronto so that I could buy one!
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 5:59:55 AM

Quote:
Kinney though had a point about the better idea of going nVidia with SLI,

Who did? Pfft, we all said that! I think one or two people here spoke of an array a little earlier. :wink: Actually I think Crash mentioned the array for double duty (mine was still surround), BTW before SLI we were talking about it with the Alienwares (now that's the way to go).

Quote:
by getting a PCI Express board and getting a GT, which later you will add another. Two GTs in Doom III, not to mention the price will eventually be damn low, about half the introductory price.

Have you seen any SLI equipped GTs? I have only seen them on Ultras sofar (whereas the Alienware solution works with just about any matched pair).

Quote:
Did [H] get those results from Carmack or were they supplied the hardware or they just got it themselves and got the timedemo?

It appears that it was an event held by iD with the presence of others, and that the iD employees ran the benchies.

Quote:
It would've been good to see a low-end system test though.

They do mention that you can play it with a 1.5ghz with a Gf4MX, but really the question is with what settings and what effects losses. It appears from their statements that a GF3 and a good processor is required for the minimum effects levels.

Quote:
Why not try no enhancements, to show raw performance?

Well I would assume because they decided to focus on only top end they didn't care about lower settings, doesn't help with older systems, but as a preview it's better than nothing I guess.

Quote:
Imagine that, Doom III's graphics will be so amazing that even cheating cards that yeild low image quality will yeild FarCry image quality!

Yeah, I always thought FartCry was simply nice water, and not even THAT impressive considering the DX8.1 water from Morrowind. This should be sweet and I can't wait to see the various levels of IQ. Also I don't think the level of 'cheating/floptimizing' will be needed with OGL and the architectural advantages that 'equalize' things. I just hope ATI doesn't sacrifice IQ for speed, that would truely disappoint and betray all they said last summer. In any case definitely a title I'm looking forward too, however I have to say that it was the addition of multi-player that sealed the deal. I probably would have waited otherwise.

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 6:05:11 AM

Quote:
I still can't figure out why so few reviews only show the average Frames per second and not the minimum.

Actually [H] is one of the best places for an overall view. They give Histograms of performance, not just min/avg/max ; however it appears in this case they weren't in control of the testing, or may have been limited as to their methods. They even elude to the fact that this isn't an 'accurate' picture of overall performance and such; "<i>As many of you are familiar with, HardOCP has taken a very tough line on evaluating the real-world gaming experience provided by our hardware...</i>"

It's a snapshot, and once their REVIEW and not Preview comes out you will likely see a far more complete picture of how it plays on the various systems.

July 22, 2004 6:50:38 AM

Quote:
It's a snapshot, and once their REVIEW and not Preview comes out you will likely see a far more complete picture of how it plays on the various systems.

Thus my question comes in: When are THEY going to receive Doom III to benchmark entirely and freely on their own? In other words, when do they expect the Hardware guide to come out?

I haven't read everything mind you, though I know they are doing a guide to show a spectrum of hardware mixes and performances.

--

July 22, 2004 6:53:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I always thought FartCry was simply nice water, and not even THAT impressive considering the DX8.1 water from Morrowind. This should be sweet and I can't wait to see the various levels of IQ. Also I don't think the level of 'cheating/floptimizing' will be needed with OGL and the architectural advantages that 'equalize' things. I just hope ATI doesn't sacrifice IQ for speed, that would truely disappoint and betray all they said last summer. In any case definitely a title I'm looking forward too, however I have to say that it was the addition of multi-player that sealed the deal. I probably would have waited otherwise.

Actually I was being positive about it. If FarCry had some pretty nice stuff to show, then it would be ironic if even cheating with low IQ for higher performance yeilds a minimum image quality of FarCry's High Quality image caliber.

As for the Alienware array, one can only wonder if they will ever license it to other companies or allow competition, because right now, prices are FAR beyond our reach. Hence why SLI may seem slightly more appealing for now.

--

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 7:29:40 AM

I understand your point, and I did somewhat take it on a tangent. I'm just saying FartCry doesn't impress me, and really I think all speed boosts will come from the various settings without major compromises, but the true irony to me would be XGI's craptacular driver floptimizations still making FartCry look bad in comparison. No THAT would be sweet. OR even the FX5200 and R9200 loking better. :lol: 

As for the array, yeah it's pricey for now, and it's not just Alienware and nV-centric, but none the less the idea of 2 GF6800Ultras is still not appealing, but 2 R9600Pros/FX5900XTs or 2 R9800Pros is far more appealing considering I could get them for less than one X800pro or GF6800/GT.

What would be truely sweet is something that would allow me to have 1 nV + 1 ATI. That would be my choice (can't argue with the best of both worlds). Heck two and a P650 for good measure and you have a nice swiss-army PC. :cool:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by thegreatgrapeape on 07/22/04 01:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 22, 2004 10:06:50 PM

I have a question?. I read somewhere that the sound from DOOM 3 will be done by the cpu. It won't matter if you have a pci card or onboard sound. won't this tax the cpu so your framerates won't be as good? I hope to order the game this weekend
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 10:31:06 PM

That is exactly right. But them claim only a few % cpu utilization.

Here is a quote by id's lead programmer, Robert Duffy, that was in PCGamer magazine.

PCGamer "Is it true that Doom 3's audio engine is entirely cpu dependent..."

Duffy "Yes, we do all sound-mixing in the doom 3 engine and don't rely on high end audio hardware to help out with this aspect. Moving it over to the audio card would have a negligible benifit, as our current sound-mixing takes up only a few % of the CPU."

July 22, 2004 11:26:33 PM

BTW I wanted to add something here. They used a Timedemo. Correct me if I'm wrong but these things are usually stress testers, right? I mean, the Q3 timedemo usually goes at a rapid speed and tries to maximize players in the field shooting, right?

So if DOOM III's timedemo used was like that, then technically those scores should be between minimum and average. My guess is that the game actually runs even better in typical gameplay (having a few come at you in silent dark corners, while slowly walking).

Anyone care to comment on that?

--

July 22, 2004 11:47:41 PM

Well, ATi had messed up a bit with the bundled HL2 free copies offer, so I guess they wanna do better this time with an actual certain fixed date. What is interesting is someone in the thread mentioned nVidia had actually claimed the geForce 3 would be bundled with it.
Doesn't seem to make sense at all, it wasn't even mentioned back then.

Anybody ever heard of that offer? (must've been like 3 years ago)

--

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 11:51:13 PM

I'll comment, but I don't really CARE to. :wink:

Yeah that makes sense that that would be the most taxing scenes they could think of (I wonder if there was a swarm and a few screamers).

The main thing is that I want to be able to play doom in one window of my laptop, watch DVD pr0n in another window, and have a banner width area for IRC via BELL airph0ne, all at the same time while Flying 30,000 feet over the praries (only way to see Sask! :evil:  ). So you think that's possible with a centrino and an FX5200GO? :lol: 

a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2004 11:54:31 PM

Does that include Mobility R9600s? :cool:

Probably the GF3 the numnutz was thinking of was the NV3X but what's a digite/number/name between strangers? :lol: 

This seems very strange though, bundling D3 with ATI cardz? I'll check with our local EB over the weekend (also hassle them about the release date) and see if that deal is up here too.

July 23, 2004 12:11:29 AM

I just called my local eb here in n'awlins and he said if it was bundled with ati it would be on-line only. seems kinda strange although at the time demo benchmarks both companies were there.Hmmmmmm plot thickens. Has anybody been to doom3.com? The music is kind of scary and they have a demo of the music from the intro which sounds pretty good.
I guess it will play well on my 5950u,but i sure would love a gt. Maybe buy the vanilla 6800 from evga then use the step up program within 90 days and get the gt. this is gonna be a great game. It should scare the pants off us! They have a doom 3 countdown website here also-http://www.ua-corp.com/
July 23, 2004 12:17:47 AM

speaking of bundles. I remember my first Ati card. Rage 128 came bundled with Kiss Psycho Circus. LOL i still have that game!!!when was that 1999,2000?
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2004 12:37:16 AM

According to the HardOCP article, it's the opposite. These scores are probably higher than actual gameplay.

"One thing that you really must keep in mind when looking at timedemo results such as these, is that DOOM 3’s AI and physics engine are not being used as they would in a real-world gaming experience. That considered, we would guess our average framerates shown here to be a bit higher than if you were actually playing the game."

July 23, 2004 3:28:09 AM

Oh darn, that's a letdown. :frown:

--

July 23, 2004 3:36:32 AM

Hmm, intro music. I still liked the small Doom II one more, but I guess you need hard rock in new games.

Bah, that doesn't matter. The game is already freaking me out. I dunno how I'll last through it. I think you get a small glimpse of Hell (or the surroundings of it) in the PC Trailer on doom3.com, which already sets the scene that this place will be one you won't forget.

--

July 23, 2004 3:37:47 AM

Good news man, Staples Depot (Bureau en Gros for the French type) has called me for an interview! I'm to meet them Saturday. I just hope I can get it. If I can get 15% discounts, Doom III will be 15% juicier for me! :smile:

--

July 23, 2004 5:26:54 AM

yo pooh :D 

we will have to keep an eye on ATI, tosee if they can maintain their integrity... i can imagine the driver team is working overtime right now tweaking those Catalysts as we speak

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>
July 23, 2004 5:52:25 AM

course.
Shame i wont be able to run doom3 at 1280x960 with 4xaa... unless i want 5fps.

obselete allready LOL

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil: 
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2004 4:52:26 PM

Cool that's great. Too bad it isn't FS, but Bureau En Gros has some cool stuff too. And a discount is always nice.

July 23, 2004 6:15:23 PM

Yeah I admit FS would be better because it's pure technology (I applied and hope they will stick me only to electronics and PC technology, because I sure as hell don't want to end up helping people find back to school material! :eek:  ). But hey, no more "GF4 MX440 = KILLER GAMING!!!" kind of crap to the consumers!

--

a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2004 11:51:13 PM

Quote:
But hey, no more "GF4 MX440 = KILLER GAMING!!!" kind of crap to the consumers!

That's right now it's the MX4000 and FX5200/R9200SE! :evil: 

Still you may want to dispense that advice with the occasional jacka$$ you're bound to run across every now and then. Really I'd be surprised if you see alot of gamers there (except me looking for more cheap DVD-Rs), so your recommendations may lean more to the R9200/FX5200 for straight mainstream 2D work. Sure you'll have some higher end cards, but I doubt Bureau en Gros will have them before the end of the summer.

July 24, 2004 1:57:52 AM

Heck I don't even remember if they sell good graphics cards at all.

My main goal though is to ensure I give them the most detailed advice for a computer they are looking for. I'll likely ask each time what is their budget and the kind of usage they have for that computer, and then find them something.

One thing I liked a lot about Bureau En Gros is they often had the best prices, especially for games. FS will often gouge another 10$ while they will sell for cheaper. I remember buying Diablo II for at least 10$ cheaper, if not 20$.

--

July 24, 2004 2:05:21 AM

i saw the word pron.... WHAT ABOUT PRON?!?!?!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2004 5:46:54 AM

Very poorly worded post.

That should read ATI volunatrily withdraws their drivers from the Futuremark list because of rendering issues in Game Test 3 (as described here by Vapor and I), non of which affect performance.

They aren't withdrawing from Futuremark, that's an nV modus operandi. Also it's Futuremark, not future mark.

a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2004 5:48:31 AM

Mmmmm Prawn Pron; <i>"What Nemo saw when the lights went <b>down</b>!" </i> :evil: 

July 24, 2004 7:20:00 AM

yeah yeah, whatever...

i was eating food while typing..

<i> :eek:  <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek:  </i>
July 24, 2004 7:37:35 AM

Can one expect any benchies for HL2 soon ? Any of you guys seen or heard somethin ?

<A HREF="http://hl2world.com/postp63936.html" target="_new">HL2World Exclusive: Playable Versions of Half Life 2 and CS: Source July 31st! </A>

<i> :eek:  <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :eek:  </i>
July 24, 2004 9:21:57 PM

I think I might be accepted at Bureau en Gros!

Funny thing, I say "I think" because at the end of the interview, well, the guy just said "come tuesday at 2:30, you'll meet someone called Justin". I have no clue what the hell is that supposed to mean. Am I hired or what?! :eek: 

Other than that it was cool, got asked by one of his assistants, a supervisor for the technology department, some PC questions like if someone was to buy a DVD Burner, has x components in his system, what to recommend for a new PSU? How much power should it have?

Well now, let us hope I can get it!

In two months time I could get a shiny new X800PRO or 6800GT!

--

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2004 2:54:05 AM

Quote:
"come tuesday at 2:30, you'll meet someone called Justin".

Either you're hired or your about to make a gay porn film. :eek: 

Well, good luck either way! :evil: 

Yes it would be nice for you to get a shiny new card. How long has it been? :lol: 

!