Atari System 1 Sound Problem (Indy)

My Indy game does not have any sound. I have turned on the test mode
and when I get to the sound check it says, "Sound Processor not
responding", or something close to that. I have looked through all of
my books and can not find the sound processor. I did pull out the
sound board last night and looked it over and I could see nothing wrong
with it.

I have owned the game for 10 years now and it never gets turned on
much. The inside is very dusty now, I tried to clean off the dirt as
much as possible with some dry paper towels. I didn't see anything
wrong with the sound board, but I really don't know what I'm looking
at. I can see if something is broken, but other then that I'm at a
loss. I haven't pulled the other boards because I wouldn't know which
of the two to take out and I don't want to do any damage.

I did check to see if all the wires were snug, and things like that.
The rest of the game works fine.

Can it be all the dust causing problems? I noticed a lot of it and I
guess it could get into the connections. How would I go about cleaning
off the boards. I figured that water would be a bad idea.

Where can I find the sound processor so that I can get Indy back up and
running properly?

I fixed a similar problem on my Roadblasters by partially removing and
reseating the 6502A (acts as the sound processor) which is at position 18L
just above C192 on the main PCB (if you are looking at the installed board).

Frank

<ldrbryan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Indy game does not have any sound. I have turned on the test mode
> and when I get to the sound check it says, "Sound Processor not
> responding", or something close to that. I have looked through all of
> my books and can not find the sound processor. I did pull out the
> sound board last night and looked it over and I could see nothing wrong
> with it.
>
> I have owned the game for 10 years now and it never gets turned on
> much. The inside is very dusty now, I tried to clean off the dirt as
> much as possible with some dry paper towels. I didn't see anything
> wrong with the sound board, but I really don't know what I'm looking
> at. I can see if something is broken, but other then that I'm at a
> loss. I haven't pulled the other boards because I wouldn't know which
> of the two to take out and I don't want to do any damage.
>
> I did check to see if all the wires were snug, and things like that.
> The rest of the game works fine.
>
> Can it be all the dust causing problems? I noticed a lot of it and I
> guess it could get into the connections. How would I go about cleaning
> off the boards. I figured that water would be a bad idea.
>
> Where can I find the sound processor so that I can get Indy back up and
> running properly?

While not System 1 specific, the SOUND PROCESSOR NOT RESPONDING message on
some Atari PCBs can be misleading. My Toobin' PCB was giving me a hard time
and was issung the same message. The game plays fine, but there is no sound
and you could not coin up the game - the coin adder would not trigger a
credit. A search of Google pointed me to the 6502A on the stand alone audio
PCB but this was not the case for me even though it would appear that the
6502A is traditionally to blame. It turned out to be the SCOM chip on the
main Toobin' PCB that was bad. This is a 137526-001 chip. It's funny, as
the Toobin' manual even has a specific error for the 137526 chip when it's
faulty, but I wasn't getting the communications error in self test (which is
what I sould have seen).

I scanned the SYS1 and INDY manuals real quick online but didn't see this
particular chip listed. Perhaps there was a similar SCOM chip on the SYS1
boards that predated the one used on Toobin'??? I did notice that there is
a 6502A processor on the SYS1 board - location 18L - perhaps this is
something to take a look at given it's reputation...????

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

<ldrbryan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Indy game does not have any sound. I have turned on the test mode
> and when I get to the sound check it says, "Sound Processor not
> responding", or something close to that. I have looked through all of
> my books and can not find the sound processor. I did pull out the
> sound board last night and looked it over and I could see nothing wrong
> with it.
>
> I have owned the game for 10 years now and it never gets turned on
> much. The inside is very dusty now, I tried to clean off the dirt as
> much as possible with some dry paper towels. I didn't see anything
> wrong with the sound board, but I really don't know what I'm looking
> at. I can see if something is broken, but other then that I'm at a
> loss. I haven't pulled the other boards because I wouldn't know which
> of the two to take out and I don't want to do any damage.
>
> I did check to see if all the wires were snug, and things like that.
> The rest of the game works fine.
>
> Can it be all the dust causing problems? I noticed a lot of it and I
> guess it could get into the connections. How would I go about cleaning
> off the boards. I figured that water would be a bad idea.
>
> Where can I find the sound processor so that I can get Indy back up and
> running properly?

I did look at the 6502A over the weekend, the chip looked ok and the
connection was good, after that I don't know how, nor can I test a
chip. Is this the type of chip that can just be replaced, or will it
need to be reprogramed if it is bad?

I will look into some of the other chips, but I don't remember the
manuals saying anything about a sound processor. I leave my games on
free play, but I will try and see if the coin mech will not work as
well.