Installing a graphics card

hotctyplaya24

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
I recently bought an ATI Radeon 9800 pro for my dell dimension 4600. I read through the manuals for both. I am confused as hell on how to connect the card. I am able to put the card in the AGP slot, but after that I get confused on what cables or wires go where. It says something about the hard drive and then power supply. Can any of you help me out?

Thanks!

hotctyplaya24

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
Actually I sort of figured it out. I found the cable to connect it to the hard drive. Now it splits, so I have the other half to connect to the power supply. However, there is nothing I can plug the cord in the power supply too. Anyone?

armadillerkiller

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Yeah man, I have a 9700 pro, I just need the same power cable connected to it that you would connect to a floppy drive. It sounds like your card wants the same molex connector that your Cd drives and hard drive connect to. I think they just suggest using the hard drive power supply cable since it is right beside the video card. I suppose you could use any power connector that you want. in your retail Video card box there should be a cable for the power with a male and a female, just unplug your hard drive and connect the cable from the video card in between the power supply and the hard drive. Enjoy

hotctyplaya24

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
Yea I figured this all out like 5 minutes after I posted. If I just think a little..lol. Yea but is there anything I can download that lets me know that everything is functioning OK?

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
download the latest catlyst drivers from ATi's site
d/l 3dMarks 2003 from <A HREF="http://www.futuremark.com" target="_new">http://www.futuremark.com</A>
loop it and see if there's any crash or anything
then

OVERCLOCK THE CRAZY THING UNTIL U GO CRAAAAAAZY!!! :D

I'm afraid the dell Power supply might not be enough

Dell.... yuck YOU GOT DELLED!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

lol, the guy has problems connecting wires together (no offence to him - we all have to start somewhere!). Overclocking, way beyond him at the moment...but in time!

*Post not intended to flame anyone*!

<font color=blue><font color=red>Milk</font color=red> my <font color=red>ass</font color=red>, and call me <font color=red>Nancy</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

hogfather

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
On this note - can I buy a power cable for my 9700 Pro? I just got it off ebay, but it is refurb, so no cables.

XP2000, 512 ddr 2700ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro

TRENDING THREADS