Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CyberPower Launches Core i7 Gaming Laptop

Last response: in News comments
June 16, 2009 9:25:44 PM

That's one nice laptop,kudos to Cyberpower for pulling it off. Whoever, buys that laptop is one rich guy
Score
June 16, 2009 9:30:29 PM

No point. This system will overheat and shuts down. Don't bother with cyberpower. They are crap like their PCs. I prefer XPS if you are looking for gaming.
Score
Related resources
June 16, 2009 9:40:19 PM

What a waste...
You could build an absolutely outrageous desktop for $2,335.
Score
a b D Laptop
June 16, 2009 9:45:35 PM

This system is a Clevo notebook. By definition, it will not overheat.

That being said, Cyberpower deserves no credit for this.
Score
June 16, 2009 9:47:39 PM

Thats all well and dandy, except that the GTX280M is actually a G92b AKA 8800GTS, 9800GTX, GTS250. Damn you nVidia!
Score
June 16, 2009 9:51:56 PM

Quote:
Some of you may remember back in February, when Eurocom announced that it would launch the world’s first Core i7 laptop
in the form of the D900F Phantom i7 workstation
. Based on Intel’s Core i7 and X58 chipset, the D900F packs 8 GB of RAM and Nvidia’s G280 GPU. All told the thing weighs 11.9 pounds and has a one hour battery life.

I'll wait for that. The fact of the matter is the GTX 280M is a rebranded 55nm 9800M GTX. And I don't care much about the weight(If it's under 25 pounds, a weight I can carry comfortably, then it's fine). Although that 8GB of RAM worries me a bit.
Score
June 16, 2009 10:05:23 PM

Looks good if you can ignore the logo.
Score
June 16, 2009 10:22:25 PM

Cyberpower is not crap u morons! if u had actually ever owned one u would know that. im sitting here typing on one and its works flawlessly. they build awesome computers for cheaper than u can build them on newegg. i know i have compared.
Score
June 16, 2009 10:39:46 PM

PhantomTrooperCyberpower is not crap u morons! if u had actually ever owned one u would know that. im sitting here typing on one and its works flawlessly. they build awesome computers for cheaper than u can build them on newegg. i know i have compared.

You can always build your own cheaper if you shop around online. What Cyber Power offers is to build you one cheaper than the big dogs Dell, HP, Sony, etc. without the pre-loaded crap on the OS.
Score
June 16, 2009 10:40:51 PM

Games and laptops go together like Jews and bacon i.e. a big no, no.
Score
June 16, 2009 10:42:22 PM

^
I would never purchase a CyberPower PC my self. I just would build my own. Its for people that want a cheaper custom rig that don't know how to build one.
Score
June 16, 2009 10:46:16 PM

I don't get it, why bother spending this much on a gaming laptop, when for the same price you can get a much better desktop? With such a short battery life it's not like you can be far from a power source anyways.
Score
June 16, 2009 11:17:15 PM

Why would you bother hardcore gaming on a laptop?

So you can use a mousepad to play Crysis?

Personally, I think a laptop is made for business and work on-the-go.

Maybe casual gaming.

I leave my hardcore gaming needs at home with my desktop.
Score
June 16, 2009 11:48:20 PM

I'd much rather use my desktop, thank you very much for the offer, cyberpower. Creative idea, but not ideal.
Score
June 17, 2009 12:14:43 AM

ispyamooseWhat a waste...You could build an absolutely outrageous desktop for $2,335.

The idea is not to make a laptop for those who would prefer a desktop, it is for those who enjoy games but are always on the move. On the move I'd much rather lug around a 5kg laptop than my 15kg pc, and monitor, and keyboard, and mouse.
Score
June 17, 2009 12:28:59 AM

Why no one built laptop based on AMD Phenom II? I think Phenom II x2 will be a good candidate for good mobile platform.
Score
June 17, 2009 12:52:03 AM

^^ and cheaper
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 17, 2009 1:32:48 AM

What I love is whenever these Gaming laptops are announced/reviewed/asked about people always come on asking 'Thats stupid, you could get a desktop for $xxx less'

I guess it doesn't occur to people that not everybody has the luxury of a lifestyle where a desk-top is possible?

I live out of a suitcase most of my life and love the ability to sit in my hotel or apartment and load up a game of COD4, Company of Heroes or Far Cry 2.

The point is that you can fold up a kick ass gaming rig into something that is completely portable, fly it half way round the world, plug it in, unfold it and bang, you have a desktop.
Score
June 17, 2009 2:05:09 AM

i know, many will buy this as a portable workstation for their work.
Score
June 17, 2009 2:43:07 AM

Sounds like a showdown between core i7 laptops Tomshardware...
Score
June 17, 2009 2:44:12 AM

It sounds nice... but for the price and the short as hell battery life.... no thanks.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 17, 2009 3:26:28 AM

has anybody ever bothered looking at Sager notebooks? big dog Alienware's notebooks are based on the same Clevo platforms, only more expensive. Sager's i7 notebook will kick this baby's a$$...
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
June 17, 2009 3:26:51 AM

I just love how it has the same price tag for a generic piece of mac.
Score
June 17, 2009 3:38:24 AM

JeanLucGames and laptops go together like Jews and bacon i.e. a big no, no.

RADIO_ACTIVEYou can always build your own cheaper if you shop around online. What Cyber Power offers is to build you one cheaper than the big dogs Dell, HP, Sony, etc. without the pre-loaded crap on the OS.

u r apparently one of the morons i am refering too. if u configure a machine from cyberpower and the get the same parts from newegg.com. it is more expensive from newegg.
Score
June 17, 2009 5:29:35 AM

PhantomTrooperu r apparently one of the morons i am refering too. if u configure a machine from cyberpower and the get the same parts from newegg.com. it is more expensive from newegg.

If you are going to stoop as low as to call someone a moron, perhaps you should consider not using 'u' and 'r' as words.

Ever wonder why it's cheaper? Apparently you've never had a course in basic economics. Perhaps when you get to high school you'll learn a thing or two, maybe.

As to the point of the article, some people need mobility. It's certainly not optimal, and I don't think you will find anyone who will argue that a laptop is superior to a desktop, but as some have pointed out not everyone has that option. I know plenty of colleagues who travel 150+ days a year and cannot exactly haul around a mid-tower + monitor. For the niche market, this is a solid product.
Score
June 17, 2009 5:38:45 AM

This is old news Jane!

Alienware M17x FTW
Score
June 17, 2009 12:34:51 PM

Any of you ever have to deal with Cyberpower's customer support? It'll make you want to shoot yourself in the face. They are the reason I learned to build my own machines. 20+ machines later (personal, friends, family, business) and I haven't looked back.
Score
June 17, 2009 12:48:08 PM

RADIO_ACTIVEYou can always build your own cheaper if you shop around online. What Cyber Power offers is to build you one cheaper than the big dogs Dell, HP, Sony, etc. without the pre-loaded crap on the OS.

Not entirely accurate.
Price the parts at the Egg and build the same parts in a system at CPPC and you will see very similar prices. Last time I tried it I had about a $30 difference for a $1400 system.
The selling factor for cyberpower is that they use quality parts that you would buy from the egg but the assemble the system for you. Kinda handy for those just getting into the homebuilt hobby. Of course they also list some crappier parts, so you have to know what you are buying. Again, the perfect scenario for someone putting together their first custom build.

As for the quality of Cyberpower, I have owned 2 of their systems and I have had 100% satisfaction from the company and the after sale support.
Score
June 17, 2009 12:53:36 PM

The harshest critics are usually the ones that cant afford it.

I can't speak for their notebooks but I bought a Cyberpower desktop 3 months ago. I was very impressed with every state of the buy, build, burn in, shipping and post sale follow through. They are very professional. The system I have is top notch.
Score
June 17, 2009 1:12:57 PM

Wow, thats an insane laptop. Props to Cyber Power on this one...i would buy it in a heartbeat.
Score
June 17, 2009 3:12:49 PM

This thing looks like a beast but as long as the battery life isn't 30 minutes, I think this is a winner. This is the same price as a Mac Book Pro. I wonder which is capable of DOING more.
Score
June 17, 2009 4:47:48 PM

this is actually a decently priced "laptop" considering the hardware installed. I would like to know why I haven't seen any models based off of this same Clevo D900F chassis that have 2 GPUs installed - from any manufacturers. Pretty as it is, and even though it does have a core i7 in a laptop, I would still go for the ALienware m17x hands down due to better aesthetics, SLI, and slightly better portability. The difference in CPU's (the only real difference) would be seldom realized since, nice as they are, Core i7 is just sick overkill for almost everything. Of course, I still have one in my desktop :) 
Score
June 17, 2009 5:54:47 PM

worst ever customer service and tech support. DONT BUY
Score
June 17, 2009 6:03:35 PM

Cyberpower have the worse customer service and tech support. Their tech support sounds like they work in china trapped in a dungeon. Beware if you are buying their products especially the notebooks. This is a good speced system and pricing but (2 Thumbs down).
Score
June 17, 2009 9:07:52 PM

kinikuThe harshest critics are usually the ones that cant afford it. I can't speak for their notebooks but I bought a Cyberpower desktop 3 months ago. I was very impressed with every state of the buy, build, burn in, shipping and post sale follow through. They are very professional. The system I have is top notch.

Well I would not just use Newegg. There are other sites (tigerdirect, MemoryExpress, etc.). I guess if you were just using Newegg then it would probably be around the same. but if you shop around it can be cheaper.

Building/Moding is great!!!
Score
June 17, 2009 9:09:40 PM

Lol my bad ^ wrong quote

Score
June 17, 2009 9:10:49 PM

cimtaurusNot entirely accurate.Price the parts at the Egg and build the same parts in a system at CPPC and you will see very similar prices. Last time I tried it I had about a $30 difference for a $1400 system.The selling factor for cyberpower is that they use quality parts that you would buy from the egg but the assemble the system for you. Kinda handy for those just getting into the homebuilt hobby. Of course they also list some crappier parts, so you have to know what you are buying. Again, the perfect scenario for someone putting together their first custom build.As for the quality of Cyberpower, I have owned 2 of their systems and I have had 100% satisfaction from the company and the after sale support.

right qoute ^
Score
June 18, 2009 3:16:09 AM

astrodudepsuIf you are going to stoop as low as to call someone a moron, perhaps you should consider not using 'u' and 'r' as words. Ever wonder why it's cheaper? Apparently you've never had a course in basic economics. Perhaps when you get to high school you'll learn a thing or two, maybe.As to the point of the article, some people need mobility. It's certainly not optimal, and I don't think you will find anyone who will argue that a laptop is superior to a desktop, but as some have pointed out not everyone has that option. I know plenty of colleagues who travel 150+ days a year and cannot exactly haul around a mid-tower + monitor. For the niche market, this is a solid product.

Wow! You have 0% reading comprehension. I was never arguing that a person should buy a laptop over a desktop. I was arguing that building a computer from Newegg is not cheaper than buying one from Cyberpowerpc. Perhaps you should buy yourself a reading comprehension tool before you insult other peoples intelligence.

Cyberpower uses the same parts available on Newegg. So the only part of the process they could screw up on would be assembly, but seeing as they run each computer for 24 hour testing I don't think thats likely. If it did arrive DOA however, it would be covered by warranty.

A certain percentage of all computer parts arrive DOA. Therefore building a computer would not eliminate the possibility of having to return something.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
September 6, 2009 3:05:53 PM

It never ceases to make me laugh when I see all of those comments that say ''you could build a cheaper desktop for that price'' What are you guys? a team member of the Captain Obvious Crew?

Sometimes portability and freedom are more important to some than spending less. I would love to see you taking your kickass gaming rig with you when you are gaming in another location. I don't move around much but having the option of taking my gaming rig with me is worth it.
Score
April 18, 2010 9:33:39 PM

Asus G73 still cheaper ~ with much better spec~but lack of design
Score
!