Can you run acer recovery disk on a toshiba?

Maybe, but i do not recommend it. I suggest you get your hands on a copy of windows(someone you know most likely has the OEM disc kicking around) and use the COA on the bottom of that laptop.

You can also contact Toshiba to get a new disk sent out. It will cost you but will have all the software your computer had when it was new.

Alternatively, give us a clue as to why you feel the need to reocver the system - someone might know a better way.[/#000ff]

Its not illegal. And yes if you could get it to install, you could activate it. But its unlikely it would work to begin with.,

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The volume licence is not transferable from one maker to another nor even to another pc, the bios compares it against the one being installed, how would you legally activate it, there are 2 different makers involved.
People get cracked versions installed, it doesn't make it legal, as I see it this is no different.

1) you just change the key (auto installed acer key) to your key (the toshiba COA key) and phone activate it.

2) Change the SLP key (acer) to the SLP key from your machine (toshiba) and install the toshiba certificate and there you go.

The license is the important thing. NOT the cd. And he appears to have a valid toshiba license.

However its a moot point as the cd would likely not install. At least not as is.

Laptop recovery disks are usually coded to a specific brand. I'm almost certain that if you try the Acer disk, it will check the computer's BIOS, discover that it's not an Acer, and go, "I quit."

There's also a very good chance that a similar thing will happen if you try a generic Windows disk. It will install until it you try to put the Acer key in.

But you have nothing to lose - except a little time - by trying.

I should imagine finding all the drivers if it does accept an install will be more than mere fun! I'd still like to know why this process is deemed necessary.

Your correct about the restore CD. Or at least some of them. But your wrong about the Windows CD.

Just about any Vista/7 disk will do. If its XP, he just needs an OEM install disk for whatever edition he has. The Acer key will work fine. Though he would need to do telephone activation unless he did a SLP activation as it does have a SLP bios.