NIS clobbered after adware removal

I finally got the about:blank invader wiped out by using Ad-Aware,
CWShredder, and CCleaner. Took several repetitions in safe mode.

However now NIS is disabled and won't let me enable it (claims I don't
have supervisor status). It doesn't appear to be loading at windows
startup - it is not showing in system tray. It can be started manually
from start/programs menu but it shows disabled. I am the only user of
the machine and obviously have administrative privileges.

Additionally, IE won't access secure web pages and Quicken online
banking access is broken. Media Center TV program guide will not
update. I am running Windows XP MCE with IE 6 (shows 128 bit
encryption in help/about window).

What's the common thread here? Something obviously got clobbered by
the adware removal process. I suppose it could just be because Norton
is not running correctly. Even though it says it is disabled, the
phony supervisor message may mean it is just blocking everything. That
is where all of the permissions for internet access are listed. How do
I get NIS back? I can't reinstall separately because it is OEM version
included with system.

Dick Ballard
ballardr@att.net

How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 2:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700

the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.
--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509