Should I buy the new iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello everybody,

I've been thinking about buying the new iPad for a while now, but I've heard some things about it, the most important one is that it gets too hot.
So I'm asking you all, the TH community, Is this true? Is the iPad worth the money? What are your opinions on it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
I suggest you walk into an Apple store and pick one up and use it, and talk to the hundreds of people who go in and out of the store each day - get their opinion because 90% probably own one.

I own one.

dingo07

Distinguished
I suggest you walk into an Apple store and pick one up and use it, and talk to the hundreds of people who go in and out of the store each day - get their opinion because 90% probably own one.

I own one.

Solution

kab1985

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
My wife has one and loves it. She hasn't complained about it getting hot and has actually been impressed with the battery life.

If you interested in other tablets though, I really prefer the ASUS Transformer Prime. Android is more open than iOS (but if you like iOS, go for the iPad) and I love the keyboard dock.

You might want to wait a little while and see what the Microsoft Surface has to offer.

Also, if you're looking to save money, the Nexus 7 looks sweet and runs the latest android os.

I have a preference towards the 7" tablets over the 10" models.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

Do you like it? Anything wrong with it?
I just want to make sure I won't regret buying one.
I'll be using it for college and I'd really appreciate all the help.

dingo07

Distinguished
I love it for what it is. I only use it to browse the internet quickly or play a silly game app. I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with a 240GB SSD that boots faster, and my desktop for gaming, of course. My wife uses it for Facebook and other stuff.

If you have to think about whether you have the money to spend, you have to ask yourself - what do I NEED it for? If you have the money to burn then go get one ASAP. If you are thinking about getting it INSTEAD of getting a laptop, you would be making a bad decision IMO.

game junky

Distinguished
If you have already been an iPad user in the past, the new iPad will be like a welcomed refresh. The screen is definitely the biggest thing you'll notice between the iPad2 and the new iPad - incredibly crisp and bright. The new CPU/GPU is a part of that as well - there are some games that you'll notice a difference between iPad2 and the new iPad.

In relation to the "heat" concern, they have patched the OS (I think it down-throttled the CPU to increase battery life and decrease heat) and if you use a case for your iPad you honestly will never notice it being warm. If you want to wait until next year to get a quad-core version (theoretically, I'm not nostradamus) then go for it.

If you view a lot of video content and browse the web constantly, you'll appreciate the new iPad. I am not a fan of Macs, but I do love Apples iPhone and iPad. They make good looking products and they have a knack for making them pretty easy to navigate.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
There are literally billions of reviews of it on the internet! No reason to rehash everything here.

As stated previously, I wouldn't get it in place of a PC, but as a tablet its definitely worth it. It will be particularly awesome on a college campus where you will have lots of free high speed wifi everywhere you go!

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
That's exactly what I want it for: college.
I already have a Lenovo Z570, so it won't be used as a replacement for a pc.
Itll mostly be used for quick note taking, as a planner, and for some entertaiment on my free time.
I've been thinking about buying an ipad 2 instead of the new one, do you all think it be good to save the $100 for a case and some apps maybe even a movie. or is the new one absolutely worth it?

Thanks for everything!!
(btw I know there is a lot of reviews on the internet and I apologize, but I'm the type of person who has to be 100% sure about something before I make a purchase)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
No problem at all. I totally think an ipad is worth it - particularly if you have other apple products and/or purchase stuff from the itunes store. The ipad and Apple TV work awesomely together(mirroring!). (If you have a lot of video media you bought/borrowed from another source it wont work as well on the ipad.)

If you have a college bookstore, there is a good chance they have an education discount. Apple usually gives some kind of education promotion. You should also be able to get some college books and stuff on ipad.

I still don't know why people want to dish out so much money for the iPad. Most people would be just as happy with a much cheaper Android running tablet. I bought my girlfriend the iPad and I only have interest in reading webpages and watching videos. The idea of using it to take pictures is ridiculous. People look like such a tool when they use it.

I would consider look at other tablets. However, many people like the shiny Apple and status of being an iPad owner, if that is you....buy it!

sos85

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I think you can choose the netbook like Asus Eee PC or Acer aspire one though it seems not so cool, but you can use it do more thing with the same weight as the iPad.

AyuX

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Wait for microsoft surface, heard that it's something big. If you want a notebook replacement, get the transformer prime TF300. CHeap and great battery life with the keyboard! But Nexus 7 is a killer. FOr 200$ you can get everything you can ever imagine except sd card slot :(

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I love my Asus transformer pad, it comes with polaris office so you can edit word and excel documents, I also have a notepad witch I use to take note with a pen.

edit: It also have a micro-sd slot, I'm using several micro-sd cards with an adapter to full sd. I can increase the storage capacity easily with any micro-sd card up to 32GB.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
It appears you dont have a tablet, so the iPad 3 is the way to go. Its way superior to any Android tablet. I own both.

You should note that a lot of users in this forum hate Apple and therefore will advise against it, but these people never even touched an iPad.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

+1 Lots of companies beat Apple on specs (which this forum cares about), but none do on user experience. It is possible that Microsoft Surface will measure up, but we don't really know that yet.

I would say your choice of buying new vs old vs refurbished should be based on how likely you are to break this thing in college. If you are a careful person without an idiot for a roomate than go for the better one.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Well a lot of people say the iPad isnt worth it and that I should get an android tablet, which is a good one and worth the money?
The only thing I don't like about android is that you need a credit card to get apps.

game junky

Distinguished
If you go Android, make sure you try it out first. Some people love android, some people love iOS but they're definitely different animals.

If I were getting an Android tablet, I would look at the Transformer Prime or the Samsung Galaxy tablet. Trying pretty close in price to the iPad but they have different plus/minus'. TP is rocking a quad-core processor and with the keyboard dock the battery life is pretty solid. Galaxy2 10.1 only has a dual core but it's a little less expensive even for their 16GB model.

In general, I recommend testing the product and going with what you enjoy using. It's your gadget so you don't have to care about what everyone else thinks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS