How to buy Dell repair parts ?

Is there a way to buy repair parts from Dell online ? i.e., replacement CPU
fans, etc.?

I've browsed all through their website - only listings I could find for
"parts" for specific machines was really more accessories than parts -
extra drives, cd-rom, etc., rather than repair parts.

Does Dell not sell repair parts to the general public?

- FM -

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to buy repair parts from Dell online ? i.e., replacement
> CPU
> fans, etc.?
>
> I've browsed all through their website - only listings I could find for
> "parts" for specific machines was really more accessories than parts -
> extra drives, cd-rom, etc., rather than repair parts.
>
> Does Dell not sell repair parts to the general public?
>
> - FM -

They do, quite happily, but I've never figured out how to do it on the
website. If you call, the parts department is pretty quick to answer.

Tom

Only Dell-authorized service providers and large corporate or enterprise
accounts can order on line. For the rest, the phone will have to do. Finding
the right part number can sometimes be problematic. If the part is a
replacement for one of the original high-level assemblies shown on the invoice
or at the Dell web site, no problem. If it's a sub-assembly like a piece of
plastic from the case, drive mounting brackets, or a fan, you have to rely on
the parts person on the phone to identify the correct part number, then hope you
actually get what you really need. Spare parts is perhaps the one area where
Dell comes up short as far as info available to the general public.

At any rate, Dell does not maintain spare parts for every model ever built, only
for models going back some number of years. Dell is no different than any other
name-brand company in this regard. My wild guess is that you could succeed in
ordering a part for a Pentium 4 system, but not for an earlier one. Parts for
older computers need to be ordered thru 3rd party parts suppliers, some of whom
try to charge fabulously inflated sums for their stuff, often more than the
entire damned system is worth... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

> you have to rely on the parts
> person on the phone to identify the correct part number, then hope you
> actually get what you really need. Spare parts is perhaps the one
> area where Dell comes up short as far as info available to the general
> public.

Yeah, I kinda miss the days of dealing with IBM - Even as an end-user, I
could have a Hardware Maintenance Manual (or in later days, their
website) in front of me, see an exploded drawing and get the exact part
number down to every fastener on the thing, and have all my ducks in a
row before calling their Boulder Parts Center.

On the other hand, I DON'T miss the days of paying $4,000 for a 386
PS/2. I guess it all washes out in the end...

- FM -

The IBM web site still has hardware maintenance manuals and on-line parts info
with exploded drawings. If you look hard enough, you might still find the HMMs
for the PS/2 computers. IBM-branded personal computers these days lack both the
kinky hardware design and the ultra-high price tags of the PS/2.

The extensive information about parts on the IBM web site helps it to nudge out
the Dell web site for first place in my own personal ranking of name-brand
computer manufacturer web site. Both Dell and IBM provide exceptional service
for computers still under warranty. It will be interesting to see what happens
to IBM's wealth of web information about personal computers if and when the
Lenovo deal becomes final... Ben Myers

> It
> will be interesting to see what happens to IBM's wealth of web
> information about personal computers if and when the Lenovo deal
> becomes final... Ben Myers

It seems to be already happening, although I don't know if it's because
of the Lenovo deal or just a general tightening of the belt -
documents and drivers that were there as recently as this past autumn
are now gone. They seem to be removing files by oldest system first.

I've particulary noticed this on the Thinkpads. Used to be, you could
find info on every Thinkpad ever made, even the pre-"Thinkpad" L40 and
CL57 laptops. Now everything below about a TP770 is gone. I'm not
betting that the remainder will survive the Lenovo deal.

I just wish that whomever originally designed the IBM parts website
would go to work for Dell.

- FM -

Give Dell Parts a call. As others have said they answer quickly and are
helpful. You'd be surprised how reasonable their prices are for Dell genuine
parts compared to third party sources. I always thought they'd want a
fortune for a Dimension 4400 CPU fan and held off for years calling them to
check, but was very surprised to find out they only wanted 12 bucks.

"Fred Mau" <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Is there a way to buy repair parts from Dell online ? i.e., replacement
> CPU
> fans, etc.?

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

Fred Mau wrote:
> Is there a way to buy repair parts from Dell online ? i.e., replacement CPU
> fans, etc.?
>
> I've browsed all through their website - only listings I could find for
> "parts" for specific machines was really more accessories than parts -
> extra drives, cd-rom, etc., rather than repair parts.
>
> Does Dell not sell repair parts to the general public?
>
> - FM -

Answer has to be Ebay.
Lua

"Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
> Fred Mau wrote:
>> Is there a way to buy repair parts from Dell online ? i.e., replacement
>> CPU fans, etc.?
>>
>> I've browsed all through their website - only listings I could find for
>> "parts" for specific machines was really more accessories than parts -
>> extra drives, cd-rom, etc., rather than repair parts.
>>
>> Does Dell not sell repair parts to the general public? - FM -
>

> Answer has to be Ebay.
> Lua

If I understood the OP's question correctly, they can call here:

Dell Spare Parts Phone 800-999-3355 Ext 69937

-or-

An aftermarket Dell notebook place (never used them, but...) :

http://www.parts-people.com/

Depending on the system model and particular part, both desktop and notebook
parts do indeed float around ebay as well.

Stew

luap

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Luap" <luap@luap.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Fred Mau wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to buy repair parts from Dell online ? i.e., replacement
>>>CPU fans, etc.?
>>>
>>>I've browsed all through their website - only listings I could find for
>>>"parts" for specific machines was really more accessories than parts -
>>>extra drives, cd-rom, etc., rather than repair parts.
>>>
>>>Does Dell not sell repair parts to the general public? - FM -
>>

>>Answer has to be Ebay.
>>Lua
>

> If I understood the OP's question correctly, they can call here:
>
> Dell Spare Parts Phone 800-999-3355 Ext 69937
>
> -or-
>
> An aftermarket Dell notebook place (never used them, but...) :
>
> http://www.parts-people.com/
>

> Depending on the system model and particular part, both desktop and notebook
> parts do indeed float around ebay as well.
>

> Stew

Ah sorry, I read "buy Dell parts" online!
Lua

paultraill

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011