DOOM3 problems with OverClocked Cards?

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
On the site HARDOCP http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy John Carmack states Doom3 may not run well with video cards that are overclocked. I was getting ready to buy the BFG Geforce GT OC version. Now I am confused if I should because Doom3 is one of the main reasons I built my new gaming machine. Does anyone have any insite if this includes a manufactored OC card. And if so do they allow you to underclock them back on a fly for while I am playing Doom3?

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I wouldn't worry, Carmack was just suggesting that Doom 3 will stress a card more than any other game out right now, meaning that just because a card is stable running UT2004, COD, Halo, etc... it might not be stable at the same speed running Doom.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
So you think he is saying if you have FPS 47 with standard you might get 42? Or whatever differences. I was just hoping that it would be laggy because of the OC. I would think the preoverclocked cards from BFG are tested and are chips that tested higher then the standard GT chips

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Well also there is the difference between a high-stress scene in Doom and a low-stress scene. If that difference is very big, then it would make it more difficult to find good overclock settings, kind of like how a card will run fine for fifteen minutes, and then you start getting artifacts. OC'ing is a big pain in the a$$.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
So you think the BFG Manufactored Geforce 6800 GT OC cards may have problems with certain loads? And would start to give problems? I am still undecided on what I should do. Go with the PNY standard GT or the BFG OC GT.

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
So you think he is saying if you have FPS 47 with standard you might get 42?
No, what I'm saying is that even if you overclock a card and it runs great, with no artifacts in all other games, Doom 3 might give it some issues.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
If the overclock is GARANTED by the manufacturer, don't worry. the problem is went you buy any regular model and YOU overclock. Then that could be a problem.

I don't think BFG is willing to loss their reputation. If in the worst scenario your GT OC is unstable, just return it. You are buying an overclocked card, provided by the manufacturer. Nothing to worry about.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Either card is probably fine, it's definitely the GPU of choice for high-res players. I personally would choose the PNY, and then use something like Omega Drivers and overclock the old-fashioned way. I don't really like the idea of a card that is OC'd by default, especially if it's going to be a problem right off the bat with Doom. If the BFG turned up errors then you could UNDERclock it, but that's stupid.

The reason why OC'd cards have trouble with Doom, according to HardOCP, is because the Doom 3 engine is utilizing parts of the card, I.E. transistors, that have never been used by any games yet, so your OC'd card may turn up errors because now it's using more transistors per clock cycle and thus changing the overclocking capabilities of the card.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks! I actually just reserved the PNY card at a near by compusa and will be picking it up. I agree not to even take a chance.