Boot Up Failing Sledge Hammer poised !!!!

I have a problem with my system not being able to boot up into nothing even
safe.
The machine came with XP Home from the store and I can not find the orig CD
for XP. I have got a freinds copy but will it work as the key is not going to
be the same as the orig install. All I want to do is boot up to fix the
problem and save files and dat so I can do a new install.....
1 answer Last reply
More about boot failing sledge hammer poised

    A new install...with what?? you cant find your XP CD!!
    Your Friends copy would work for you to repair XP...its part of the setup
    precedure you just have to read all of the screens it will show.......but
    you will not be able to activate it and therefore it will only run for 30
    days and then your back to square one.
    So go and buy your own retail copy and use that to do the repair and
    activate it at the same time.
    A repair installation will only repair XP it will not change any of the
    other programs you have on the HD.
    peterk

    -- "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

    "Diggerdoe" <Diggerdoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a problem with my system not being able to boot up into nothing even
    > safe.
    > The machine came with XP Home from the store and I can not find the orig
    > CD
    > for XP. I have got a freinds copy but will it work as the key is not going
    > be the same as the orig install. All I want to do is boot up to fix the
    > problem and save files and dat so I can do a new install.....

Boot Microsoft Windows XP