Sign in with
Your question

Lan failed?!?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2012 1:52:30 AM

hi when i try to boot up my toshiba laptop, i get a boot menu stating that lan has failed. It wont start windows but it gives me the option to enter bios.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how i can fix it?

thanks! :hello: 

More about : lan failed

July 26, 2012 2:05:41 AM

Did your boot order get stuffed, check you bios you should be booting your HD not over LAN.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2012 2:41:39 AM

hmm the cd/dvd was #1 in the boot sequence. So i switched to hdd/ssd but windows doesnt seem to be booting. WIndows finishes loading, but the screen stays black and doesnt enter windows. What else can i do?

edit: also what is FDD?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2012 3:03:11 AM

ok so i put the hdd/ssd first in the boot sequence and im getting the "boot menu" like i did when the cd/dvd was first in the boot sequence. When i click on hdd/ssd, it says failed. The windows load screen doesnt even show up anymore. did i do something wrong? The only thing i touched in bios was the boot order.

edit: when i boot up, and a bunch of words come up, i caught this for a split second

boot
Cd/DVD: boot failed
hdd/ssd: boot failed
FDD: boot failed
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2012 3:11:28 AM

try making from another pc a hirem boot cd. boot from it and run a anti virus sweep on your hard drive and smart test to see if your hard drive went south. if you know the vendor of the hard drive on the boot cd is wd and seagate drive test tools.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2012 3:14:10 AM

smorizio said:
try making from another pc a hirem boot cd. boot from it and run a anti virus sweep on your hard drive and smart test to see if your hard drive went south. if you know the vendor of the hard drive on the boot cd is wd and seagate drive test tools.

what is a hirem boot cd? and whats a smart test?

also, if i enter bios FIRST (even if i dont touch anything) and then exit bios, i get a windows boot screen with 2 options. Repair or start windows normally. Which ever i click, it loads completely and then stays on a black screen.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2012 5:30:40 AM

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

drive S.M.A>R>T> just a standard fitness test that vendor put on hard drive bios. a lot of free hard drive tools will read the smart info. a good drive will be green. a yellow or red one...needs to be replaced. also vendors like wd and seagate put out there own drive fitness tools.
m
l
!