Window's Firewall Won't Work

For no apparent reason my firewall stopped woking and I can't access the
control panel for it. When I click on it a message says: "Window's firewall
settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie is nto running do
you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ISC)
service" when I click yes it says: "Windows cannot start the Windows
firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service" and then I can't do
anything else. Please help. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about window firewall work

    Hi,

    Have you checked the Event Log?

    Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    Select System entry in the left pane
    In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X

    Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
    in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
    event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it.

    Meanwhile, try this REG file:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "theredmission" <theredmission@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For no apparent reason my firewall stopped woking and I can't access the
    > control panel for it. When I click on it a message says: "Window's
    > firewall
    > settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie is nto running
    > do
    > you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ISC)
    > service" when I click yes it says: "Windows cannot start the Windows
    > firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service" and then I can't do
    > anything else. Please help. Thanks

    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 5/6/2005
    Time: 11:06:26 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: YOUR-F95424BB04
    The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated
    with the following error:
    An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

    I think I followed your instructions correctly-the above is the message I
    recieved. Note sure where to go from here.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Have you checked the Event Log?
    >
    > Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    > Select System entry in the left pane
    > In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
    >
    > Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
    > occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
    > in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
    > event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it.
    >
    > Meanwhile, try this REG file:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "theredmission" <theredmission@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > For no apparent reason my firewall stopped woking and I can't access the
    > > control panel for it. When I click on it a message says: "Window's
    > > firewall
    > > settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie is nto running
    > > do
    > > you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ISC)
    > > service" when I click yes it says: "Windows cannot start the Windows
    > > firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service" and then I can't do
    > > anything else. Please help. Thanks

    Nicely done. Here is the cure:

    After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you may receive one or
    more of the following interactive error messages:

    •Error message 1
    Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    service on Local Computer. Error 10047: An address incompatible with the
    requested protocol was used.

    After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-related
    problems, or you receive an error message:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    --

    > Event Source: Service Control Manager
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 7023
    > Date: 5/6/2005
    > Time: 11:06:26 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: YOUR-F95424BB04
    > The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated
    > with the following error:
    > An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

    > I think I followed your instructions correctly-the above is the message I
    > recieved. Note sure where to go from here.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Have you checked the Event Log?
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
    >> Select System entry in the left pane
    >> In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
    >>
    >> Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error
    >> exactly
    >> occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more
    >> information
    >> in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the
    >> whole
    >> event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, try this REG file:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Control Panel Firewalls Microsoft Internet Connection Windows XP