Window's Firewall Won't Work

May 6, 2005 12:10:10 PM

For no apparent reason my firewall stopped woking and I can't access the
control panel for it. When I click on it a message says: "Window's firewall
settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie is nto running do
you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ISC)
service" when I click yes it says: "Windows cannot start the Windows
firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service" and then I can't do
anything else. Please help. Thanks

More about : window firewall work

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:50:12 AM

Hi,

Have you checked the Event Log?

Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
Select System entry in the left pane
In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X

Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it.

Meanwhile, try this REG file:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"theredmission" <theredmission@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For no apparent reason my firewall stopped woking and I can't access the
> control panel for it. When I click on it a message says: "Window's
> firewall
> settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie is nto running
> do
> you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ISC)
> service" when I click yes it says: "Windows cannot start the Windows
> firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service" and then I can't do
> anything else. Please help. Thanks
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:50:13 AM

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 5/6/2005
Time: 11:06:26 AM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-F95424BB04
The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated
with the following error:
An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

I think I followed your instructions correctly-the above is the message I
recieved. Note sure where to go from here.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you checked the Event Log?
>
> Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
> Select System entry in the left pane
> In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
>
> Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
> occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
> in the resulting dialog. Click the copy button at the top and copy the whole
> event and paste it to a Notepad document and save it.
>
> Meanwhile, try this REG file:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "theredmission" <theredmission@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For no apparent reason my firewall stopped woking and I can't access the
> > control panel for it. When I click on it a message says: "Window's
> > firewall
> > settings cannot be displayed because the associated servie is nto running
> > do
> > you want to start the Windows firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ISC)
> > service" when I click yes it says: "Windows cannot start the Windows
> > firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service" and then I can't do
> > anything else. Please help. Thanks

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 1:33:46 AM

Nicely done. Here is the cure:

After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you may receive one or
more of the following interactive error messages:

•Error message 1
Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service on Local Computer. Error 10047: An address incompatible with the
requested protocol was used.

After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-related
problems, or you receive an error message:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

--

!