Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
What does the timetable look like for all graphics cards switching over to PCIe and is PCIe really worth it over AGP 8x. I was under the impression that AGP 8x isn't even really fully utilized at this point. This is an important consideration for building a new system that I want to account for. Waiting for more mobos that have PCIe (maybe even dual) might not be a bad idea but I thought I should check it out....

What the hell was PCIX then? Man - I can't remember what all these things were anymore :p<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tommunist on 07/23/04 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Neo8234

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2004
first... PCI Express is not the same thing as PCIX... most refer to PCI Express as PCIe or PCI-e... Anyway, I've been wondering when the newer graphics cards will actually be available in PCIe... the only PCIe cards I see for sale are GF5750s and X600s... Only the OEMs at this point have PCIe x800s and 6800s... PCIe offers no immediate performance benefit, but it is a good move if you don't plan to upgrade your motherboard for a while but would like to be able to upgrade your graphics card down the line.

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
so is PCIe important to get in the near future. I'm looking at building a system in the near future and this is a consideration I am factoring in. Many thanks.

"Don't question it!!!" - Err

A PCIe MOBO is important if you want to keep it for ~2years.

But a PCIe card isn't important if you already have a good CPU/mobo combination or if you plan on upgrading again next spring.

Both nV and ATI backed off their 'no more AGP after this lineup' attitude which will surely delay the adoption of PCIe and will not make it a MUST have for another year or so.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
But if you look at the Doom 3 benchmarks PCI-E gives a decent fps boost. If you are a gamer and you are spending a lot of money on a video card you want that.

"Go forward until the last round is fired and the last drop of gas is expended...then go forward on foot!" -Patton

I think you may want to look at those benchies again. Especially if they are <A HREF="http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy" target="_new">KYLE's D3 preview at [H]</A>. I don't think it was PCIe that was giving the boost, I think it was the system differences; P4-3.6ghz versus P4-3.2 and 4gb of DDR2-533 vs 2gb of DDR(1)-400mhz.

It would be nice to see especially with the ULTRA high mode at a later date, but right now. I think it's system differences we saw, not the PCIe vs AGP differences.

BTW, Kyle will be adding more Benchies at a later date and put <A HREF="http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14359" target="_new">his list of configurations up at B3D</A>.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Oh! Thanks grape! I didn't see the system specs different.

"Go forward until the last round is fired and the last drop of gas is expended...then go forward on foot!" -Patton

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
What kind of timeframe are we looking at for more GPUs and mobos to be supporting PCIe? It sucks to jump in too early and not have any options.

"Don't question it!!!" - Err

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
Rumor is by end of summer early fall there will be dual PCI-e mobos out to support nvidia's SLI solution. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Probably the time frame for PCI-e will be late fall.

Expect Sept to be the "a PCIe in every store" date. Likely mid to late Sept.

Think of it this way. We haven't seen reviews of AMD based PCIe boards yet, so there's no reason to think they will be at market in the next few weeks. Also the whole Prescottt line currently has a bit of a black eye after their launch issues, so don't expect much from that end for now either.