2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1600x900 or 1920x1080
Really want IPS panel
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
as much as I can get while staying inside my budget
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
coding, microsoft office suite, internet browsing, tv/movie watching
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I don't need alot, 100gb+
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
sites that will ship to US. Have used newegg, tigerdirect and amazon in the past and had good experiences, but open to others
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
until it breaks
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
not needed if it will save size/weight/cost
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have always had good luck with Dell and Asus products. I have had my current Dell Inspiron 1545 for 3 years now.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am giving my Dell Inspiron 1545 to my dad for general microsoft office/internet browsing use. I have a powerful desktop, so the laptop is just for portability. Here are my priorities:
1) $700 or less
2) IPS panel
3) good battery life
4) decent CPU
Here is a copy/pasted configuration that I recommend to those looking to buy the laptop for gaming purposes. Since you aren't looking at gaming, feel free to drop the GPU to integrated graphics. But note: The price-before-coupon must be $899 for the coupon to work. $899+coupon=$699.
HP DV6t (i3-3110M, NVIDIA GT 650M, 15.6" 1920x1080 matte IPS display) - $724 + tax ($769 + tax w/ i5-3210M)
- Use coupon code: NBY8552
- Don't: Downgrade to the 1366x768 display, unless you need the large text. You generally shouldn't buy the HP DV6 in any configuration that includes the 1366x768 display. 15.6" 1366x768 displays make things onscreen large, and tend to be low-tier LCD panels with very poor image quality due to low contrast.
- Consider: Backlit keyboard, Larger/faster HDD.