Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On my desktop I am getting a fatal error message, I can not see it well
enough, it does have IE in it. Also lost display funtions. Help Chuck

Chuck,

See if this applies:

Behavior
Adware.Topantispyware is an adware program that changes the desktop
wallpaper to an advertisement for an antispyware product.

Symptoms
Desktop Wallpaper contains the following text:

Warning! You're in danger.

Transmission
This adware component can be manually installed, or installed as a component
of another program.

Symantec Security Response - Adware.Topantispyware:
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.topantispyware.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On my desktop I am getting a fatal error message, I can not see it well
> enough, it does have IE in it. Also lost display funtions. Help Chuck

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm having the same problem. After shutting down restore and running a scan
with Norton Anti-Virus I think the Trojan Startpage M is gone. Now the
security warning on the desk top will not clear off. I went to Control
Panel>display but there is not a desktop tab. I could not find a web tab
either. I could use some help on this.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> See if this applies:
>
> Behavior
> Adware.Topantispyware is an adware program that changes the desktop
> wallpaper to an advertisement for an antispyware product.
>
> Symptoms
> Desktop Wallpaper contains the following text:
>
> Warning! You're in danger.
>
> Transmission
> This adware component can be manually installed, or installed as a component
> of another program.
>
> Symantec Security Response - Adware.Topantispyware:
> http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.topantispyware.html
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On my desktop I am getting a fatal error message, I can not see it well
> > enough, it does have IE in it. Also lost display funtions. Help Chuck

Greg,

Start Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispAppearancePage
and
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispAppearancePage

In the right-pane, delete the following values (if exists)

- NoDispBackgroundPage
- NoDispScrSavPage
- NoDispSettingsPage

Remove the Desktop wallpaper / web item:

Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
Select the "Web" tab
Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
Uncheck "My current Home page"
Click OK, and now select (None) as your Desktop background
Click OK and close the dialog.

Follow-up with a thorough malware cleanup. Begin with the stand-alone
scanner from Trend Micro, named "Sysclean" package. Trend Micro's Sysclean
package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
instructions at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

Additional Links that you may refer later:

AVG Anti-Virus: (freeware)
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Free Online Virus Scanners and Security Tests:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Scanners.htm

How to manage Windows Startup?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

Sysinternals Freeware - Utilities for Windows NT and Windows 2000 - Process
Explorer:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Treating Infected Systems:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Treating-Infected-Systems.html