Microsoft Word

I have two versions of Winword on my computer. I am not sure how this
occured but suspect it happened when I had the computer upgraded to WindowsXP
from WindowsME. I have the disk for 2000SR-1 that, as I remember came with
the Sony Viao laptop that I have. I also have the WindowsXP Home Edition
(Includes: Service Pack 1. Version 2002). I have one folder that is Office
and another folder that is Office 10. OK that's the foundation, now the
problem....I have put a short cut on the desktop that points to the older
Winword I think. When I open an email attachment (Word) it tries to install
and open things related to the 2000SR-1 version and even when I click
"CANCEL" it opens the file. Bottom line..Which version should I keep? Which
to delete? How do I do it without causing problems? (cannot use Add/Remove
because only office shows up there). Why no problems with Excell etc.?
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. Had old operating system removed
and new installed at Best Buy.

Gordon

Engineer11 wrote:
> I have two versions of Winword on my computer. I am not sure how this
> occured but suspect it happened when I had the computer upgraded to
> WindowsXP from WindowsME. I have the disk for 2000SR-1 that, as I
> remember came with the Sony Viao laptop that I have. I also have the
> WindowsXP Home Edition (Includes: Service Pack 1. Version 2002). I
> have one folder that is Office and another folder that is Office 10.
> OK that's the foundation, now the problem....I have put a short cut
> on the desktop that points to the older Winword I think. When I open
> an email attachment (Word) it tries to install and open things
> related to the 2000SR-1 version and even when I click "CANCEL" it
> opens the file. Bottom line..Which version should I keep? Which to
> delete? How do I do it without causing problems? (cannot use
> Add/Remove because only office shows up there). Why no problems with
> Excell etc.? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. Had old
> operating system removed and new installed at Best Buy.

Office10 is Office XP or 2002. That's the later version.

"Engineer11" <Engineer11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two versions of Winword on my computer. I am not sure how this
> occured but suspect it happened when I had the computer upgraded to
> WindowsXP
> from WindowsME. I have the disk for 2000SR-1 that, as I remember came
> with
> the Sony Viao laptop that I have. I also have the WindowsXP Home Edition
> (Includes: Service Pack 1. Version 2002). I have one folder that is
> Office
> and another folder that is Office 10. OK that's the foundation, now the
> problem....I have put a short cut on the desktop that points to the older
> Winword I think. When I open an email attachment (Word) it tries to
> install
> and open things related to the 2000SR-1 version and even when I click
> "CANCEL" it opens the file. Bottom line..Which version should I keep?
> Which
> to delete? How do I do it without causing problems? (cannot use
> Add/Remove
> because only office shows up there). Why no problems with Excell etc.?
> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. Had old operating system
> removed
> and new installed at Best Buy.

Sounds like another fine job done by Best Buy.

If the old OS was removed, and not just upgraded, there should have been no
trace of the old programs on the computer. So that's the first issue.
Second, Word (and/or Office) doesn't come with Windows XP or any other
version of Windows, it's a separate program. So unless you gave Best Buy two
different versions of Word/Office to install, they've gone and done
something else odd. It almost sounds like they've put someone else's
software on your computer, and if you don't have the disks and licenses for
what you're using, sooner or later it's going to end up causing you problems
when you need to repair or reinstall.

Seems to me the problem was caused by a messed up install by Best Buy. You
might want to go back to them and ask them to do it right this time (and it
ought to be at no charge if they didn't do what you paid them to do) or you
can take it to a qualified shop somewhere and have them do it right.