desktop fatal error

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Serurity Warning A fatal error in IE occured at 002B:C0011C36 in VHPVmm
can not read the rest . Error was removed by Trojan-Spy.HTHL can not read the
rest. System can not function in normal mode. Please check serurity
settings and all the rest I can not read. This is right on my desktop can
not remove it. Display functions are limited. Thanks Chuck

This is most likely a desktop item set by a trojan/malware. Try this:

Remove the Desktop wallpaper / web item:

Open Control Panel, double-click Display.
Click the Desktop tab, and choose "Customize Desktop".
Select the "Web" tab
Delete all the items except "My current Home page"
Uncheck "My current Home page"
Click OK, and now select (None) as your Desktop background
Click OK and close the dialog.

Follow-up with a thorough malware cleanup. Begin with the stand-alone
scanner from Trend Micro, named "Sysclean" package. Trend Micro's Sysclean
package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
instructions at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

Additional Links that you may refer later:

AVG Anti-Virus: (freeware)
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Free Online Virus Scanners and Security Tests:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Scanners.htm

How to manage Windows Startup?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

Sysinternals Freeware - Utilities for Windows NT and Windows 2000 - Process
Explorer:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Treating Infected Systems:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Treating-Infected-Systems.html