Need a diagnosis

i30i3i3y

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Ok here's my specs,

P4 2.4 533FSB
512MB PC2700 RAM
MSI 6585 Motherboard (SiS 648F-Neo) [I'm using onboard audio (Realtek ALC655) with 5.1 speakers and onboard LAN]
120Gb 7200 RPM HDD
PNY GeForce4 MX440 64Mb Grpahics Card
AverTV Tv Tuner
Firewire card

I've tried to include as much detail as possible. (much of which may be irrelevaent)

Now here's my problem. When playing games (I'll use Day of Defeat as an example) I play smoothly at full detail. But at times the game stutters. Almost like lag.

Another example is TOCA Race Driver 2. I put everything on full detail. I could run it smoothly most of the time. Then it'd suddenly stutter and freeze for a few seconds then return to normal. I've tried lowering detail to the minimum and 800x600 resolution and it still happens at times.

I'm wondering whether it is my graphics card or not. If it is shouldn't the fps be low continously and not drop dramatically at certain moments then return to normal. On TOCA the sound messes up sometimes as well. I was actually quite surprised that the game ran on full detail at all, it actually ran very well if it weren't for the stuttering.

I can't figure out what the problem could be. CPU? Memory? Graphics? Could somone make a diagnosis.

I was thinking of getting a newer graphics card, but now I'm not so sure it'll solve this problem. I don't want to spend quite a bit of money and still have these problems.

I downloaded Dr Hardware and its readings seem normal. Another thing I've seen is if I open up taskmanager and grab and move it around fast CPU usage goes upto about 80-90%. Is this normal?

I also have firewall and antivirus running all the time.

Any help would be appreciated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by i30i3i3y on 07/23/04 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like another program is doing something every so often in the background, it could be one of the two you listed. Take it offline and disable any programs you don't need and see if the problems go away. If not, it could be a virus or adware (spyware) program running in the background.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>