Engine clock/Gpu speed is or what really?

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
OK so i've overclocked before and it's nice but wanted to know, what exactly id the GPU speed handle. Now a days it's at 500mhz so what exactly is going to load faster now that it's at 500mhz. I thought about pixel rate but i am not sure so someone please clarify.

someone please clarify.
First relax... then breath; then clarify your question.

You are overclocking what kind of card, and from what speed to what speed (500-500 doesn't mean much) that may be where you are now, but it doesn't mean anything if we don't know the starting point is.

Also what exactly are the conditions,a dn what exactly are you looking at with regards to this overclock. OC'ing the core and memory each have a wide variety of impacts depending on the game/app and the settings.

Relax, and then rewrite the question.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Right Calm down.

Let me rephrase. It's quite simple, i wanted to know by o'cing the core clock speed, how will it improve my gameplay?

I am well aware that increasing the mem speed will increase bandwidth and therefore allow more textures in a second to pass.

So why should i even o.c the core speed if it has no real purpose to be fast?

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Benchmarking scores?

I've wondered the true benefits of keeping a gfx card oc'd. Unless you are unlocking pipes or something, I don't see the benefit.

I say this because as great as my benchmarking scores improve with my max OC on my 9800np(from 324/290 stock to 416/340 max OC), I don't see ANY improvement in FPS in my games.

In 3dmark01, my scores went up from 17k to 20+k, 3dmark03 5500 to 6300, and Aquamark 38k to 46k(wow).

But as for helping during gameplay, I don't think it does. I use FRAPS and I will play a game(let's say Rallisport Challenge) and on a certain course I will be getting 40-44 fps. I pause the game, juice up my OC to 416/340, and the FPS remains 40-44. NO improvement whatsoever.

I've done this with other games too noticing no improvement. But the benchmarks show that I'm gaining performance in their suites, why doesn't this translate to real world performance?

--
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle
512mb Apacer pc3200
ATI 9800np 256-bit 128mb
3dMark01: 20,371 3dMark03: 6334 Aquamark3: 46,310

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
So why should i even o.c the core speed if it has no real purpose to be fast?

because then teh GPU core can process more geometry, process those textures faster, fill those pixels quicker. with my 9800pro, overclocking the core is much more effective than overclocking the memory. older cards benifited more from overclocking the ram, because it was more of a bottleneck back then

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i find a difference in some games, but with a card like the 9800 with its 8 pipelines and 256bit memory, its probably not the bottleneck in most games (unless you run at high resolutions)

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

Untruest

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
ooohh, ok i see, i forgot to consider the fact that one might be a bottleneck and that i was somewhat right about more textures being passed in the same amount of time. SO therefore it is important to increase both

ljt311 did you notice an increase in FPS while using 3dmark in their games. Because for me when i OC i have to restart my comp before it takes into effect.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I see a substantial difference in games when I OC my card, and for that reason I leave it OCd (modestly). I don't run it at it's max for normal gameplay, just benching, to extend its life. I tend to set the res/graphics settings for games such that the framerate is near the limit of what I consider comfortably playable, so that I get the best possible visuals. Because I play my games at 40-60 FPS not 100+ FPS, I can see a substantial difference when OCd vs. not OCd.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?