Windows XP Home freezes at standby

In Power Options, I have the settings:

Turn off monitor: after 20 min
Turn of hard disks: after 15 minutes
System standby: after 30 minutes
System hibernates: after 1 hour.

When I return to the computer after several hours, more than half the time
the monitor lights up on keyboard stroke to a Windows screen that says
"preparing for standby" The computer is frozen. No further reponse from
keyboard, does not respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL. Must reboot by holding power key
in for 5 seconds. After rebooting, no error message in EventViewer.

What should I do to prevent this? Will just selecting "Never" for system
standby work?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows home freezes standby

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm scroll down to "powerdown issues."

    "roofrabbit" <roofrabbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In Power Options, I have the settings:
    >
    > Turn off monitor: after 20 min
    > Turn of hard disks: after 15 minutes
    > System standby: after 30 minutes
    > System hibernates: after 1 hour.
    >
    > When I return to the computer after several hours, more than half the time
    > the monitor lights up on keyboard stroke to a Windows screen that says
    > "preparing for standby" The computer is frozen. No further reponse from
    > keyboard, does not respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL. Must reboot by holding power
    > key
    > in for 5 seconds. After rebooting, no error message in EventViewer.
    >
    > What should I do to prevent this? Will just selecting "Never" for system
    > standby work?
  2. Dear All,

    Please go though this webiste

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907477