start up problem with XP

My lap top just messed up ... I can not turn it on it goes to a screen saying
unable to open windows file missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. so
what can I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about start problem

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
    "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You Start Your
    Computer

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b320252
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or
    Corrupt...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
    Configuration Problem

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298898
    How to Determine the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) That Is Used in Windows XP

    Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    Also see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting issues with HAL

    "Esco57" <Esco57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My lap top just messed up ... I can not turn it on it goes to a screen saying
    > unable to open windows file missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. so
    > what can I do?

    I should also say that this is an older laptop and I have been having trouble
    with my CD ROM drive. so I might not be able to use a CD to start up.

    "TaurArian" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
    > "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You Start Your
    > Computer
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b320252
    > Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or
    > Corrupt...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    > How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477
    > Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
    > Configuration Problem
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298898
    > How to Determine the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) That Is Used in Windows XP
    >
    > Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    > Also see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting issues with HAL
    > (Hardware Abstraction Layer).
    >

    > "Esco57" <Esco57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My lap top just messed up ... I can not turn it on it goes to a screen saying
    > > unable to open windows file missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. so
    > > what can I do?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314096
    How to troubleshoot CD-ROM drive problems in Windows XP

    or perhaps you may need a new CD Rom Drive.

    >I should also say that this is an older laptop and I have been having trouble
    > with my CD ROM drive. so I might not be able to use a CD to start up.
    >
    > "TaurArian" wrote:
    >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
    >> "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You Start Your
    >> Computer
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b320252
    >> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or
    >> Corrupt...
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    >> How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477
    >> Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
    >> Configuration Problem
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298898
    >> How to Determine the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) That Is Used in Windows XP
    >>
    >> Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm
    >> Also see http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm for troubleshooting issues with
    >> HAL
    >> (Hardware Abstraction Layer).
    >>

    >> "Esco57" <Esco57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My lap top just messed up ... I can not turn it on it goes to a screen saying
    >> > unable to open windows file missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. so
    >> > what can I do?

Support Microsoft Windows XP