Improving processor hp dv6

Status
Not open for further replies.

therenne

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Good evening friends okay? My doubt is: I have an HP Pavilion DV6 2173cl/i3-330m/8gb DDR3 1333MHz great condition and would like to put an i7-820qm far as I know the soket is the same and the manual says something about the hp such a processor upgrade.
  I want to know if someone already did this or similar upgrade this notebook and it works perfectly.
  I really appreciate all the help and sorry for grammar errors as Brazil and I had a little help from google translator.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I checked the processor you suggested and its TDP (thermal dissipation) is 45 Watts, compared to your current i3 which is 35 Watts. This extra 10 watts will likely overwhelm your cooling system.

Usually laptop manufacturers design a different heatsink/fan assembly for different TDPs. Best to check out the service manual (if you can get one) and see if there is a better heatsink for the higher TDP CPUs. But then you should also consider that there maybe more than 1 design for the power delivery components on the motherboard for your laptop, 1 for each TDP profile, and unless you swap motherboard, your higher TDP i7 will likely kill the power delivery circuitry.

That is all in general. See if you can find a copy of the service manual and compare the differences between the higher TDP versions of your laptop and your current one to find out if there are other parts you have to swap, and then it might get very expensive.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

That manual is a good start. Compare your current CPU heatsink to that one and see if it matches EXACTLY. Then see if you can find a copy of a service manual for your computer model (that PDF is for a computer similar to yours, but a different sub-model). And see if an i7 is an allowed CPU by your cooling system and BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.