TECH REPAIR: need help on an older gremlin b/w game

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Trying to get a gremlin blasto game working. All components are
there,will not power up. Trying to fix myself, but no luck so far. I
have a manual, basic tools.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to start?
I am in the Sacramento, Ca. area, if anyone knows someone out here who
can help, let me know.
Thanks, Rob.
videorob@surewest.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

In article <1115173854.142271.172980@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
videorob <videorob@surewest.net> wrote:
>Trying to get a gremlin blasto game working. All components are
>there,will not power up. Trying to fix myself, but no luck so far. I
>have a manual, basic tools. Can anyone point me in the right
>direction to start?

Do you have the schematic and a multimeter?

--
Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Yes I have the complete set of scematics and I do have a multimeter.
Next step?

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

well, after checking all the wires and connectors first, i did find one
or two loose wires and connected them back.
after plugging the game back in, it came on. the florescent lite,
monitor, all came on. there is an LED light on the board that came on,
now it is off. the screen has just black and white lines and zig zags
across it, and the size is like a widescreen movie, long and
skinny.speaker just hyas a high pitch squeal, so i turned it down.
One problem solved, more to go.
Next???????

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

In article <1115245729.412685.147480@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
videorob <videorob@surewest.net> wrote:
>Yes I have the complete set of scematics and I do have a multimeter.
>Next step?

You need to verify that you're getting the correct voltages out of the
power supply.

--
Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/
Or check my repair logs:
http://blog.videoracer.com/blog/

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

ok, the game was powered up with just black and white criss crosses on
the screen.
the LED light on the board came on , then went off, but the game
stayed on. The coin mech and counter work as well.
fast forward to today.
I unplugged the game last night, and today plugged it back in, and now
it will not power up again.did not adjust anything in between.
This game has no on/off switch, just a back door switch wich will turn
the game off when the back is removed.
Also has a power interupt board whic is just hanging from the 4 wires
that are connected to it.Have not been able to see a place where it
would plug onto the main board.
Manual is a little vauge on this, so I will keep looking.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

In article <1115258439.896437.270070@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
videorob <videorob@surewest.net> wrote:
>well, after checking all the wires and connectors first, i did find one
>or two loose wires and connected them back.
>after plugging the game back in, it came on. the florescent lite,
>monitor, all came on. there is an LED light on the board that came on,
>now it is off. the screen has just black and white lines and zig zags
>across it, and the size is like a widescreen movie, long and
>skinny.speaker just hyas a high pitch squeal, so i turned it down.
>One problem solved, more to go.
>Next???????

Sounds like the game isn't getting power, or is getting the wrong
power. You need to verify that you're getting the correct voltages out
of the power supply.

--
Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/
Or check my repair logs:
http://blog.videoracer.com/blog/

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I'd be looking for bad IC sockets on a game this old. Not uncommon at
all. If you can easily pull out IC's with just your finger tips then
that socket is probably toast.

I fix those boards, but I'm not inexpensive!

John :-#)#

On 5 May 2005 13:02:18 -0700, "videorob" <videorob@surewest.net>
wrote:

>ok, the game was powered up with just black and white criss crosses on
>the screen.
>the LED light on the board came on , then went off, but the game
>stayed on. The coin mech and counter work as well.
>fast forward to today.
>I unplugged the game last night, and today plugged it back in, and now
>it will not power up again.did not adjust anything in between.
>This game has no on/off switch, just a back door switch wich will turn
>the game off when the back is removed.
>Also has a power interupt board whic is just hanging from the 4 wires
>that are connected to it.Have not been able to see a place where it
>would plug onto the main board.
>Manual is a little vauge on this, so I will keep looking.

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com