What wrong with this monitor? (photos)

Here's some photos of the monitor that was in the free cab I picked up at
TNT. (thanks for the 10th time Todd).
Maybe someone can give me some ideas on what's wrong with it.
I'm going to try my first capkit soon so that will be done. (well, my 2nd
kit.. since i'm practicing on another monitor first.)

It looks like the RGB is out of convergence but not across the whole screen.
The lower left being the worst and the upper right being near perfect.
The convergence rings on the monitor are still epoxied so it doesn't look
like those have been touched.

Starting from upper left going clockwise using Ms Pac sprite as the
reference...

http://www.keithcorcoran.com/arcade/monitor/upperleft.jpg
http://www.keithcorcoran.com/arcade/monitor/upperright.jpg
http://www.keithcorcoran.com/arcade/monitor/lowerleft.jpg
http://www.keithcorcoran.com/arcade/monitor/lowerright.jpg
http://www.keithcorcoran.com/arcade/monitor/fullscreen.jpg

Any pincushioning in the screen is my camera lens.

I think this is a WG 4600. I forgot to look last night. Too busy playing.
haha.
I'll post the model if it helps when I get home tonight.

Thanks.
Keith.

convergence problem. A cap kit wont fix that. convergence can be a
real pain to get right. Best thing I could say would be Mark the
location of the rings with a line accros them before you start. That
way if things get to far out of wack you have a good point to go back
to so you can start again. Wells K7000 manual has some good info on
adjusting convergence . Ted

I'll second the diagnosis of convergence, but I'd add that you can
sometimes see what looks like the convergence is off when a color is
overdriven. (although this one looks like classic convergence issues)

If you've got a TV repair shop in town, especially an older shop you
might see what they'd charge to converge the tube properly. In the
past I've had mixed results messing with the convergence rings and
considered myself lucky when one came out looking okay. Be sure to
mark the starting point with a line on the rings if you decide to try
it yourself, or you'll regret it later. Since you've got a Pac, the
grid screen makes a nice convergence pattern if you don't have access
to a pattern generator.

Lastly- watch out for the 24kV on that anode!

Mike Doyle

I agree..... Convergence is a problem. If you're going to cheap out and
do this yourself while the monitor is on, make sure your hands are
extremely dry and you have to mess with the rings which sit on the
tube.

John

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

the dreaded convergence rings. i feel like it's a test of my arcade
mettle. the few.. the proud.. the one's who can adjust convergence.

i quickly checked google for some reference on adjusting this but
didn't see anything without a more thorough search.
if anyone has this manual in pdf format ted mentioned, please send it
over.

at a minimum.. if anyone can identify the rings and each ring's
function... i can probably try to figure it out.

i need to see if there's a test pattern on this ms pac jamma /
retroarcade multipac. otherwise i'll have to pick up a cheap jamma
board that has one.
if anyone has a super cheap jamma board they hate that i can use for
testing in this cab and in the future.. please let me know.

i had a cabal board but can't find it for the life of me.

thanks for the replies.

keith.

Looks like one of the 3 rubber wedges has fallen out from the yoke.

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

ok. this seems like a plausible issue considering 2 of the monitor
boards were laying in the bottom of the cabinet when i got it. i'll
take a closer look when i get home.. maybe it's in the bottom of the
cabinet as well. it would seem the yoke is angled as a result
considering the picture is worse on one corner of the screen too.

if not.. where do i get one and is it as easy as wedging it in there?

keith.

Something I've wondered, is it ok to touch the yoke winding with the
monitor on? Aligning the yoke is required during a tube swap and I was
intially tempted to grab there. Am I glad I chose the plastic white
ring on the flange instead???

- Craig

win...@soulshot.com wrote:
> the dreaded convergence rings. i feel like it's a test of my arcade
> mettle. the few.. the proud.. the one's who can adjust convergence.
>
> i quickly checked google for some reference on adjusting this but
> didn't see anything without a more thorough search.
> if anyone has this manual in pdf format ted mentioned, please send it
> over.
>
> at a minimum.. if anyone can identify the rings and each ring's
> function... i can probably try to figure it out.
>
> i need to see if there's a test pattern on this ms pac jamma /
> retroarcade multipac. otherwise i'll have to pick up a cheap jamma
> board that has one.
> if anyone has a super cheap jamma board they hate that i can use for
> testing in this cab and in the future.. please let me know.
>
> i had a cabal board but can't find it for the life of me.
>
> thanks for the replies.
>
> keith.

Could be one of the wedges. I thought of that but from the pic it seems
like it is off evenly accross the bottom. Wich makes me think it is
not. But if the rings were not moved it is possible that the yoke has
move a little.keith a love your phrase the few the proud. They are a
pain in the ass. I just did one about 2 weeks ago came out dame good
realy amazied myself.

update.
there were 3 rubber wedges in place. it didn't look like any were missing.

so i messed with the rings. it was tough because i didn't have a mirror and
didnt want to pull out the monitor.

i'd adjust.. peek around the cab, again and again.

i got it pretty close a couple of times but not being completely satisfied
i'd adjust it again and screw it up. haha.

right now it's back off, a little worse but that's because i ended up
stopping and playing a few games of ms pac.

i couldn't find anything online about adjusting convergence. maybe i will go
to the library and look for a book on tv repair or something this weekend.

either way, i marked the rings so at least i can put it back to what it was.

k.

<winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> ok. this seems like a plausible issue considering 2 of the monitor
> boards were laying in the bottom of the cabinet when i got it. i'll
> take a closer look when i get home.. maybe it's in the bottom of the
> cabinet as well. it would seem the yoke is angled as a result
> considering the picture is worse on one corner of the screen too.
>
> if not.. where do i get one and is it as easy as wedging it in there?
>

> keith.

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

i'm not too swift on monitor types and whatnot so i wasn't sure if i
was looking for something specific to my model or brand.
i emailed wells gardner yesterday and a field service engineer shot me
over a pdf file... CRT setup instructions.

it's pretty indepth though not sure where i'm going to get a cross
hatch signal from. :(

i'm pretty anxious to learn to do this and do it well so i'll be like
my local subject matter expert. haha.

anyway.. i've uploaded the pdf for anyone who wants it.

http://www.keithcorcoran.com/arcade/crt_setup_instructions.pdf

k.

You can get a nice cross hatch pattern using dip #7on the Pac board to
access rack advance, there is a nice grid pattern during boot-up.

Mike Doyle

WINNER

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

mike.
i was actually able to 'pause' the board during boot with dip #8 and
get the grid screen to stay up.
the pattern they mention in the pdf document. it looks like horizontal
and vertical cat whiskers emanating from the center. each is labeled R
G B. i guess you need a pattern generator for that.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

A few of the monitor manuals you can find on line do have convergence steps
in them

"Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> update.
> there were 3 rubber wedges in place. it didn't look like any were missing.
>
> so i messed with the rings. it was tough because i didn't have a mirror
and
> didnt want to pull out the monitor.
>
> i'd adjust.. peek around the cab, again and again.
>
> i got it pretty close a couple of times but not being completely satisfied
> i'd adjust it again and screw it up. haha.
>
> right now it's back off, a little worse but that's because i ended up
> stopping and playing a few games of ms pac.
>
> i couldn't find anything online about adjusting convergence. maybe i will
go
> to the library and look for a book on tv repair or something this weekend.
>
> either way, i marked the rings so at least i can put it back to what it
was.

> k.
>

> <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> > ok. this seems like a plausible issue considering 2 of the monitor
> > boards were laying in the bottom of the cabinet when i got it. i'll
> > take a closer look when i get home.. maybe it's in the bottom of the
> > cabinet as well. it would seem the yoke is angled as a result
> > considering the picture is worse on one corner of the screen too.
> >
> > if not.. where do i get one and is it as easy as wedging it in there?
> >

> > keith.

george_66

Check that all the rubber spacers are in place under the yoke housing where it butts up against the crt. sometimes the yoke can be off a little and cause this type of misconvergence.