Mobility Radeon 9800 spotted by [H]

The Guys at [H] recently noitced this from a German DELL add as part of their XPS review;

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MDc5ODQ2NlY5OGRTUEdBRmNfMV8xX2wuanBn" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTA5MDc5ODQ2NlY5OGRTUEdBRmNfMV8xX2wuanBn</A>

Just when I'm looking away from the Toshiba with the R9700 (can't see my way clea to $1000+ just for a better graphics card).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
That AGP does look neat but the damned OEMs (well currently only Dell) are raping the system by overpricing it.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro to XT(463/795)

eden

Champion
THG had the review up. Amazing mobile relative performance, disappointing desktop relative performance.

Here's why IMO:

this is an X800 derivative, yet its performance is about as much as the desktop 9800XT, or a bit less. That's disappointing IMO.

Compared to the other mobile counterparts, it is a marvel where I have to thank ATi for finally defining the meaning of "better components". When ya get something new out, you freaking make sure it does a good job at it!
Geez, the MR9700 really sucked IMO, with its performance being so close to the MR9600.
With almost twice the performance now, the MR9800 promises adequate gaming.

(Also, for its price, it is still a novelty, but the fact is, if companies want to compete, they will release similar performance cards, therefore we will later on have price drops on systems that are almost twice better at gaming than last generation, with only a few hundred bucks more expensive than them. So while it is a novelty, it will pave the way for a much better gaming time for mobile platforms. This is the tactic I like most, release competition damaging hardware, so that the next price drops will make the value dramatic compared to the generation before it, that sells for a little less.)

However, going back again to the relative performance thing, it is a bit sad to see such performance even when equipped with a killer 3.2GHZ HT on a mobile platform, yet it just won't go further than last generation' cards' performance. As well, can you fathom the battery usage this thing will create with the 3.2HT P4?

Dear god, what if they used Prescotts?! :eek:

Oh my god, THEY DO! *cries*

--

<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
<font color=white>XXXXXXX<font color=green>S<font color=white>XXXXXXX
XXXXXX<font color=green>SSS<font color=white>XXXXXX
XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/27/04 10:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Yeah I was just going to mention that EuroComm (based out of T.O.) was the first to have desktops with Prescotts, and was the first to mention a GF6800 mobile for their laptopps in their FUTURE Products section. F'in 12 pipes in a mobile PC? Along with a P4EE (btw, Eurocomm offers those too)? With what a 250WHr Battery?

I finally realized what I want to do with my Laptop, and realized that spending $1000+ for 'gaming' makes no F'in snese considering what I plan on doing with it most of the time (DVD watching and Actual WORK [Imagine that :lol: ).

I will play D3 on it on my way out east (mainly becuase I'll have purchased it like 2 days before flying), but I don't plan on doing MUCH gaming on it, other than the endless Morrwind, which doesn't need more than Intel Extreme graphics really.

I would've spent money for an AXIOM or Mobile PCIe based solution, but as those weren't available forget it. However I do think maybe an R9700 based DELL 9xxx notebook would be ok because you could upgrade it to an mR9800 at a latter date, when they don't cost $500CDN.

Anywhoo, while it's not sext, I think I made the right choice in my upgrade, also my battery will likely last twice as long as an XPS user's.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

eden

Champion
other than the endless Morrwind, which doesn't need more than Intel Extreme graphics really.
My god, what are you saying there, heretic! :tongue:

My Ti200 had a hard time playing that godforsaken unoptimized game!

--

XXXXX<font color=green>SS<font color=orange>g</font color=orange>SS<font color=white>XXXXX
<font color=red>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNN</font color=green></font color=white>

eden

Champion
Today at Bureau en Gros I saw a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a nice screen I don't think I had seen before on laptops, it had some kind of filter or some glass on it, yet when touching it, it's just like a real LCD, where your finger creates a small imprint while you touch it. It's weird because it had such a nice screen, felt more CRT-like, angle of viewing was MUCH nicer (though still had a few problems) and damn was it crystal clear, none of that LCD blurry text crap.

What do you think was the technology in that screen?!

--

eden

Champion
That aside, I had my second interview with the boss of the place yesterday. He asked similar questions to the guy I was having my 1rst interview with. Went pretty well I'd say, but I still got a 3rd interview to pass now! :frown:
He asked I bring him 2 references if possible, and he will schedule the final interview for this week. Oh boy how long it is. I hope it all works out though.

They likely wanna test me and my abilities before they take me.

--

Speaking of Laptops I almost bought an A70 at the <A HREF="http://www.micro.ucalgary.ca/" target="_new">UofC's Micro Store</A>, but I went there this morning to check the discrepancy between what they had listed (same configurations but one had Windows XP MEdiaCenter with external TV tuner, remote, and a DVD burner [including RAM, and y'all know I love DVD RAM!]; the other didn't have those nice features. It's still up there, the media one is in their price list, the actual one they can order (not in stock and may not arrive for 3+ weeks) is at their Online Store. If they had the Media centre one available for that price within 2 weeks I would've bouht it, heck I would've walked out with one this morning if they had it.

As for the monitor, I agree it looks great, but I don't know what it is. A Polarized glass doesn't make much sense for LCDs but it's almost that effect to me. I did like the look of them when I fondled them at Lodon Drugs (except the speakers look cheesey), but anyways I went another route with Dell.

Well good luck. But still watch out for Kleig Lights and an Air Matress! :wink:

Yeah it's a pain going through interviews.

But think of all the cool stuff you can get. Like post-it notes, and liquid paper! :lol:

eden

Champion
LOL, yeah those boons are a must for back-to-school huh! :wink:

Kleig Lights and an Air Matress
I'm afraid I don't quite know where those fit in the Bureau en Gros products. :eek:

--

Klieg Lights are for TV/Film, so if you see them, RUN!. :evil: